National integration – Essay.
National integration is a word that is popular and common among individuals especially whenever there are peace talks. However few people understand what national integration is and the many benefits that can be reaped form national integration. It is countries that have high levels of national integration that get to achieve high rates of developmental success.
National integration can be referred to as a feeling that citizens or individuals in a country have with regards to togetherness and oneness.
With national integration, people feel like they are one in a country despite their religious, social, racial, cultural or economic background. When there is national integration in a country, the individuals of that country are able to work together to achieve high rates of prosperity and development. It is a term that does not necessarily emphasize on national spirit but rather on working together as one.
Features of national integration
- One of the features of national integration is unity. Unity in a country is where people join and come together to work for the common good of the country.
- Social homogeneity is also a feature of national integration. This is where people in a country see each other as equals despite their different social backgrounds.
- National loyalty is also a characteristic of national integration. This is where people love their country and they are devoted towards its growth.
- Equal opportunities are also a feature of national integration. People are given a chance towards getting equal opportunities despite their various differences.
Importance of national integration
- National integration leads to the development of national unity. With national unity, people are able to come together despite their differences in terms of religion, race and culture.
- Another importance of national integration is that it leads to promotion of patriotism. Patriotism refers to when people in a country are able to remain loyal to their country and fight for their country.
- National integration also leads to promotion of national peace. Citizens in a country are able to work together despite their differences and this further leads to the growth of a country.
- National integration contributes to a country’s economic growth. This is because peaceful coexistence among individual makes it easier for them to work together to grow the economy.
- National integration also leads to political stability. This is because of the elimination of fear that if someone from a particular race or religion got to be elected they would oppress the other people. National integration helps to get rid of this fear.
- Another importance of national integration is that it gives a sense of national direction. This is because the goals of a country are well defined and people can cooperate towards achieving these goals.
- National integration promotes equality. Every citizen in the country gets an equal chance when it comes to issues like employment, election, etc.
Factors promoting national integration
- Cultural integration is one of the ways in which we can promote national integration. This is where different groups of people in a country are recognized and interactions between these two groups are promoted.
- National integration can also be promoted through education. When people in a country are educated. They are better able to coexist together since they gain more knowledge of the benefits of working together as a country.
- When there is fair distribution of national resources, people in a country would be able to coexist peacefully since there would be no tussles over some people feeling like they are doing better than others.
- National symbols also promote national integration. National symbols include the national flag, national anthem etc. These symbols will promote unity among people and hence people will be able to work together towards development.
- The constitution will also foster national integration. This is because it clearly outlines the rights of people that will make them equal and hence enable them to work together.
National Integration Day in India
The National Integration Day in India is celebrated on 19th of November every year. This day is also the birth anniversary of the first female Prime Minister of India who was known as Indira Gandhi. On this day, people come together to promote unity and promote love and peace. On this day, there are a lot of activities that take place and they include National Youth Award, National Integration Camp, Inter State Youth Exchange Programme, etc.
National integration is a factor that promotes peace in a country. There are many different groups of people that are present in a country and we have to ensure that all these group of people are able to coexist together.
By Mary (2019)