What is women empowerment? Women Empowerment refers to strengthening the social, economic and educational powers of women. It refers to an environment where there is no gender bias and have equal rights in community, society and workplaces.
Why women empowerment is important?
Women population is around 50% of the total population of the world. They have every right to be treated equally with men in every spheres of life and society.
The empowerment of women would result in overall development of society both at micro and macro level. Active participation of women in economic activities and decisions, would contribute towards overall economic development.
The challenges/ barriers of women empowerment are the following:
- Because of the inherent superiority complex among the males, they often doesn’t allow their female counter-part to rise as high as them.
- High level of domestic responsibilities.
- Restrictions to participate in social, economic and religious activities.
- In our society, the boy-child often gets preference for education and healthy diet over the girl child.
- Preference for male-child still exist among many families in the society.
The solutions for empowerment of women includes the following:
- Education through mass communication is very important. Both women and men should be made aware of their responsibilities to promote and practice gender-equality.
- Gather national data and identify the areas where instances of violence and gender-inequality is the most. This data can be used by the Government, NGOs and field workers to raise the status of women.
- The society should be made aware that both boy-child and girl-child are equal, and they both should have equal access to resources.