Environment – Short Essay 1
The word environment is referring to the conditions, which is surrounding the ecosystem or the community of living things. These conditions will include many factors like temperature and climate of the area, type of soil, availability of water and what animals and other living things are present over there.
The factors, which are affecting the environment, are falling under four main headings like hydrologic processes, geomorphic processes, and atmospheric processes. This all processes are closely related with each other, and sometimes they are overlapping with each other.
The biotic process is mostly involves the living organisms. Different living organisms are having different effects on the environment, for example, the roots of plants will help in anchoring the soil while burrowing animals like a rabbit will move it around. The different proportions of plants and animals in different environments will affect the environment as the whole.
Geomorphic processes are shaping the land. This will include the processes of erosion, weathering, transportation, and deposition. Weathering happens when the rocks are broken by chemical, mechanical or biotic means.
Benefits of a Healthy Environment
- Healthy environment refers to pure air, water and greenery with a peaceful and serene atmosphere.
- For children having a good environment means all of the above and additionally the factors of safety and happiness always present.
- For animals providing good environment also means good air, water, safety from human encroachment in their habitat along with serenity in their space.
- The environment is a big determinant in the development of an individual or a society.
- These days with growing awareness in protecting the environment, people are taking steps in the right direction in preserving nature.
- These steps involve planting more trees, protesting against pollution and cutting down carbon emissions from vehicles, disposing trash in the proper place and cutting down the use of plastic.
- Encouraging the use of public transport and making laws against loud sounds or setting a limit to it are ways of improving the quality of the environment.
Having realized the damage our actions have done, it is the need of the hour to contribute to restoring the environment.
Environment – Short Essay 2
Environment comes from the French word ‘environ’ which means surroundings. The environment means natural world and its surroundings: the air, the water and the earth.
Environment refers to the surrounding (both living and non-living) of the livings species. The human-beings, plants, animals and other living beings operate in the environment. Environment is also sometimes referred to as habitat.
Environment may refer to the entire world, or any part of it such as particular geographical area. It consists of both living and non-living things. Living things such as animals, plants, flora, fauna, etc. interacts with both other living and non-living things. Similarly, non-living things such as soil (land), landscape, water (ocean, seas, ponds, lakes, rivers), weather, climate, temperature, sunlight, air, etc. interacts with other non-living and living things.
There is a close relationship between living organisms and environment. Ecology is the branch of science that studies the interaction between organisms and their environment.
The interaction of living beings, including human-beings, brings changes in the environment. Similarly, livings beings also display changes within them with the change in the environment.
Thus, the environment can be thought of in a way that is:
- General: the whole natural world can be referred to as ‘the environment’.
- Specific: an animal’s environment is their particular habitat, where they thrive.
- More abstract: a term that refers to the delicate ecology of planet earth.
Our natural environment consists of land (soil), water (rivers, lakes, seas, oceans, ponds), atmosphere (weather, climate, temperature), living organisms (animals, plants), non-living
Adverse effects of human activity on environment
Human activity has caused several adverse effects on the Environment.
- The discharge of untreated industrial wastes, and other unsafe substances into water bodies has caused water pollution.
- The air is contaminated because of the uncontrolled release of harmful industrial and vehicular smokes into the air.
- Our environment also suffers from soil and noise pollution.
- The excessive emission of greenhouse gases has caused an increase in surface temperature of planet earth and ultimately leading to a situation called Global warming.
Also read: Short Paragraph on Environment
It’s time to take care of our environment. Human-beings and other living creatures depend upon environment and natural surroundings. The activities of human beings cause severe harm to the environment. The following measures can save our environment:
- Pollution control laws should be imposed strictly.
- Restriction on the use of fossil fuels should be imposed. When we burn fossil fuels, it releases harmful gases into the environment and pollutes it. In its place, the usage of non-conventional sources of energy should be encouraged.
- Emission of carbon-dioxide and other greenhouse gases should be reduced to save our environment from the threat of Global warming.
- We should all put effort to conserve natural fresh water, where-ever possible. Besides protecting the various ecosystems that depend on fresh-water, the preservation of fresh water also reduces the costs involved in re-processing the water to make it re-usable.
- We can plant more trees and support the afforestation and reforestation projects.
- Waste reduction and waste recycling can have a positive impact on the environment.
Also read: Short Paragraph on Save Environment
World Environment Day
Every year, people and organizations around the world observe 5th of June as the World Environment day. The objective behind celebrating this day is to create awareness among people to take positive actions for the protection of environment.