Introduction: Long ago, people used to perform folk songs and drama in various cultures. It was then that media was first used to communicate messages to a wider group of people. Print media followed and then mass media and social media.
Media refers to various means of communication. It also refers to communication devices. Communication devices are used to interact and communicate among people.
The most common forms of media today are radio, internet, newspaper and television. Media is an important part of our lives. It is also two-sided meaning that it has a positive side and a negative one.
1. It educates people. Through television and radio programs, people get to learn about health matters, environmental conservation, and much more.
2. People get the latest news in a very short time. Distance is not a barrier. People get news daily through the media and this keeps them updated on the happenings around the world.
3. People get to bring out their hidden talents. Through media showcase their talents such as comedy, acting and singing.
4. Children’s knowledge increases. Children can learn from quiz programs, animal programs and so on.
5. Radio is convenient as people do get short news and with a mobile phone one can access it.
6. Great in promoting mass consumer products. This can in turn increase sales of the product.
7. Serves as a good source of entertainment. People get entertained through music and television programs.
8. Television allows electronic duplication of information. This reduces the production cost making mass education possible.
9. Media leads to diffusion of different cultures. Media showcases different cultural practices.
10. It helps people around the world to understand each other and embrace their differences.
1. It leads to individualism. People spend too much time on the internet and watching television. As a result, socialization with friends, family and neighbors is affected.
2. Some media contents are not suitable for children. Limiting children’s access to such content can be difficult.
3. Newspaper is geographically selective.
4. Increase in advertisements in television and radio is making them less attractive.
5. Internet as a form of media opens up possibilities of imposters, fraud and hacking.
6. Media can be addictive, e.g. some television programs and internet. This can lead to decrease in people’s productivity.
7. Health problems. Prolonged watching of television can lead to eyesight problems and radio listening using earphones exposes one to possible hearing defects.
8. It glamorize drugs and alcohol. Some programs make the use of these things appear cool’.
9. It can lead to personal injury. Some people decide to follow the stunts that are showcased in the media. This can lead to injuries.
10. It can lead to ruin of reputation. It is possible for one to create an anonymous account. Such accounts can be used to for malicious reasons such as spreading rumors. This can lead to ruin of reputation of an individual or a company.
Although media has many advantages it also has its limits. It is up to us, the users, to decide to use it wisely for the best impact.
Written by: ejulia