What is a Computer?
A computer is an electronic device that takes data in one form and gives it out in another form. The computer takes an input, processes it into an output which is stored in a storage device.
The modern computers have evolved from simple computers to sophisticated device. They have also changed in size from large computer to simple hand held devices.
Many people are using computers for various reasons. Below are the basic thing you should know about a computer.
Components of a computer
- Keyboard – this used for data entry into the computer
- Mouse – it’s a pointing device that is used for pointing and clicking.
- Motherboard – this is where all computer components are attached.
- Processor – this the ‘brain’ of the computer where data processing takes place.
- Hard disk drive – this is used for storage of data.
- Monitor – this is an output device where users can follow what they are doing with a computer
Uses of a computer
- They are used by accountants for computation.
- Computers are used for entertainment like watching movie.
- They are used for surfing the internet e.g. when doing research.
- They are used for data storage for future reference.
Drawbacks of a computer
- Computers have led to environmental degradation as the waste from them are burnt polluting the environment.
- It has led to unemployment since a computer can do jobs that can be done by many people at once.
- Poses health risk such as stress and back pain.
Computers have revolutionized the world as they have changed the way many things are done. Care must be taken to ensure that they don’t cause more harm to the people using it.