What is Training?
Meaning: Training is a development program to teach an individual or group of people, a set of skills or a specific type of behavior. Training essentially means teaching. Trainees should extract maximum learning out of any training program. Training can also be given to self. Training is give to increase competency, knowledge or sharpen skills that may already be present in a person.
A training program usually has specific aims. The goal might be to improvise upon someone’s performance, capacity, productivity, etc. No task can be accomplished with perfection without proper training and practice. Initial few days are dedicated to job specific training in any job. From manual labor to intelligence, every aspect of a task requires relevant training.
Also, training is not only for initial qualifications, it is also required to sustain any kind of skill. Throughout our professional lives, we need to be trained to upgrade as well as maintain our skill sets from time to time. After all, human beings are not coded machines; they require training in every sphere of their work life. The later part of the training for sustenance may also be termed as “professional development”.
On the job training provided prove to be more useful than bookish qualifications. When professionals are provided with proper training, they will be ready to tackle any situations that might arise during their daily work. Training make an individual aware and every challenge seem easy to handle after that. Successful corporate firms put their employees through rigorous training to prepare them for facing diverse situations.
Physical as well as mental training should be covered in every training program that is designed. Also, a fresher training program should be planned in an entire different way when compared to a training given to experienced employees. Before formatting any training program, the goal of the syllabus should be clear. Good training programs not only need a good trainer but also a strong plan for its successful execution. Interactive training sessions are more fruitful than passive ones. Incorporating question answer sessions, quizzes ensure maximum participation of the trainees.
Why is Training Important?
The importance of training is highlighted below:
- Perfection: Training can transform imperfection to perfection. Nobody is perfect at any job, and thus comes the role of training to make you perfect. Regular training and practice is the key to mastering any task. Be it in sports or in professional front, training should not be avoided and should be welcomed with open arms. The famous boxer Muhammad Ali right said, “I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don`t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.’ When training is received from an experienced and successful trainer, they ensure that the trainee excels in his or her job. Training is designed in such a way that the students get the maximum out of it and are several steps closer to perfection than what they were before.
- Excellence: Excellence in any field can be achieved via proper training. A well-planned training program can prepare you to deliver the best. Excellence cannot be aimed at without learning and subsequent practicing. To excel in any task, prior training is a must.
- Success: You can only become a successful professional if you are a trained professional. This is the ideology of every corporate company. They invest in constant training of their employees to ensure success in every vertical. This human resource policy is implemented for sure success. From the juniors to the seniors, every individual in a hierarchy should receive regular training. This helps them improve their productivity. Also, regular training ensures that employees are up to date with the current market and technical knowledge.
- Wisdom: Every day should be a learning day in our lives. In any professional field it is important to acquire new knowledge and increase our wisdom. Intelligence stagnancy should never be encouraged. It is not possible for any person to know everything, hence necessary training should be taken to upgrade our wisdom. People who are well trained are wiser than those who do not undergo any training in their lives.
- Job requirement: These days, if you do not have certain certifications in your resume, you might not be hired for the job that you are applying for. Trained professionals are preferred by recruiters. More the training certificates you accumulate in your career, the more chances you get to switch jobs. A good resume always flaunts a number of training programs attended. In this competitive market, it is wiser to train yourself as much as possible to stand out in a crowd.
- Increased earnings: If you have undergone relevant training in your career, you will climb up the ladder faster in your professional front. Your income will see a considerable rise when compared to people who are not trained. Certain certified training programs give you the required boost in your career graph that you have been looking for. Attending training programs and collecting certifications can also get you early promotions and good raises.
- Personality development: Training sessions not only improve your professional development but also work on your personality development. When you are aware of multiple things, it helps increase your confidence. A trained individual will have an upper hand in any meeting or conference because his or her subject knowledge will be more than others. A trained employee stays motivated and goal oriented.
- Less supervision required: When an employee is trained well initially, he or she requires lesser supervision. A well-trained personnel makes fewer mistakes while working. Also, a supervisor does not have to be constantly monitoring a trained person`s daily work. This helps reduce the workload of a supervisor. If an employee is not trained at all, they might mess up their job more often, which is an annoyance for the supervisor.
- Better employee-employer relation: Regular training sessions conducted please the employees of any organization. Training is for the betterment of an employee personally as well as for the organization as a whole. Conducting training is an indirect way of the management to tell the employees that they are cared for. Thus, regular training programs in diverse fields keep the employees content and happy in any company. It also boosts their morale and increases their job satisfaction.
- Discover and retain new talent: Conducting training sessions on various professional and management subjects help the company to spot fresh talent. Regular interaction with the employees help them know their employees inside out. Training also ensures that the employees are competent. Regular training makes sure that the employees are retained in a company because they stay happy.
Training should be an important inclusion in a successful company`s Human Resource policy. Training only has advantages and there are no downside of conducting training sessions. If a company wants to excel and beat competition in the market, it needs to have trained man power. Investing in training programs has long-term profit. It should not be seen as an added cost since training indirectly gives successful output. All multi-national companies have yearly targets towards conducting innovative training sessions. Also, it is important that all the training programs are conducted by experienced professionals from within or outside the organizations. Training programs are an assured road leading to success for individuals as well as companies. It is a win-win situation for employees and employers. Adequate training provided to people ensure better productivity and its sustenance.