Nuclear energy is energy that uses nuclear reactions to generate heat. Nuclear reactions are very powerful. Because of this, just a single atom can generate a huge amount of heat when it is split in a nuclear reactor. The importance of nuclear energy is highlighted below.
1. Reliable source of energy: as long as you have a nuclear generator, nuclear energy is a very reliable source of energy.
2. Scientific discovery: the splitting of the atom was a huge scientific achievement, perhaps one of the biggest achievements in human history.
3. Energy that does not depend on the seasons: nuclear energy is not like wind or wave energy that depends on the seasons or the vicissitudes of nature.
4. Energy for all: nuclear energy can be provided anywhere, as long as the raw materials can be found.
5. Clean energy: unlike fossil fuels, which release noxious gases when burned, nuclear reactors do not contribute to the greenhouse effect.
6. A sign of status: many countries feel that having a nuclear power plant is a sign of their advanced status.
7. A sign of progress: the discovery that atoms could be split and thus release energy is a huge advancement in science. And, as a result, a nuclear reactor is a sign of progress.
Read more about Nuclear Power in Wikipedia.