Media plays a significant role in keeping everyone updated about the various events around the world. Today, we can check out the latest news and current affairs with just few clicks of mouse or by simply switching on the radio or television, apart from glancing at the newspaper every morning!
Media is the plural form for medium and involves the collective communication sources or mediums including television, radio, newspapers, internet, social media sites and various relevant sites and blogs. The main purpose of media is to disseminate the information and knowledge.
Media is the best medium of communication for mass audience. With the help of various media like electronic media, print media and web media, the mass communication method is accomplished in a suitable way.
A vast majority of people, all across the world, rely upon various sources of media for keeping themselves updated on various ongoing issues around the world. Media plays an important role for the whole society.
Importance of Media
Let us know and understand the significance of media through the following most important points:
1. Gives us immense knowledge & transmits information – Media keeps us informed about various happening around the world. It lets us know what is happening around us and all over the world. With the help of media, we get immense knowledge on various subjects. Media plays a vital role in the dissemination of information. It broadcasts, prints and updates information from time to time so that the general public stays aware of what is going on in the country and in the entire world.
2. Raises our consciousness – Media ignites awareness in us by providing information and knowledge. It does not enforces its own opinion on us, but provides facts, figures and news to us so that we can analyze the information and can understand, what is wrong and what is right?
3. Raises voice against social evils – Media also plays a constructive role for the society by raising social issues. Presently, there are many examples of social evils like dowry, female foeticide, gender discrimination, etc. that have been raised by media. When media presents and unveils such issues, the public becomes aware and the necessary steps are taken for resolving the issues! Media also helps reach the voice of masses to the concerned authorities.
4. Provides true pictures and live telecast for various events – Be it the cricket world cup, FIFA matches, our prime minster or president addressing the nation, the areas affected by flooding or just any other incident, media helps us see the true picture by providing the LIVE or recorded telecast for almost all important events.
5. Educates the society – One of the most important roles of media is to educate the society. We can explore and analyze various product reviews, do price comparison for various items, read news about politics, fashion, war, weather, health and much more with the help of media. Media exposes issues like poverty, illiteracy, social backwardness, etc., and educates people on the same. It also educates people about their rights and duties and helps enforce law as well.
Conclusion: Today, media has become important part of our life as well as society. Henceforth, the role and effects of media cannot be ignored! It informs, educate and entertain people and most importantly, it helps in reforming, reshaping, educating and strengthening the society.