What does it mean to ‘save energy’? Saving energy means using less energy. This can involve using less electricity, less oil or less biomass. Any kind of energy can be saved.
Why should we save energy?
1. It’s cost effective. Saving energy cuts down our energy bills.
2. Better for the planet. Energy generated from fossil fuels in particular contributes greatly to global warming and climate change.
3. More for others. Let others use the energy we save!
4. Efficient. It is good to live in an efficient way.
5. Less strain on public infrastructure. When we save energy, it places less strain on power plants and other energy infrastructure.
6. Mindfulness. When we put our minds to save energy, we become more aware of our actions and their effect on others.
7. Simple. It is simple to save energy when you know how – so why wouldn’t you do it?
Ways to save energy.
1. Use less heating. Insulate your home and turn the heating off when you are not there.
2. Turn off devices when you are not using them. For example the TV and the radio.
3. Save water. Water takes energy to heat and to process and transport.
4. Walk. Instead of taking the car and using fuel, walk to work or take public transport.
5. Go vegan. Reduce your carbon footprint by eating less meat.
6. Cut down on international plane travel. This is a leading cause of energy overuse.
7. Seek energy free activities! Yoga, walks, painting and meeting with friends for a picnic will not impact negatively on your energy bills.
Conclusion: We can all do our bit to save energy.