Introduction: The word population comes from the Latin word ‘populus’. This word means people or population. A population is thus the group of people or other organisms that live in a particular place.
A population explosion is when a certain population grows drastically in size. Often the implication is that the population has grown too much.
Causes of a population explosion.
- High birth rate: more people are being born.
- Low death rate: fewer people in a given population are dying each year.
- Immigration: lots of people are arriving at a populated place.
- Good food supply: populations grow when they are well nourished.
- Little space: population may seem to have exploded when they are packed into a smaller space.
We can deal with the issue of population explosion by adopting the following measures:
- Climate change: with more people on the earth we need to curb our fossil fuel emissions drastically.
- Food sources: we need to ensure that everyone has enough food.
- Water supplies: supplies of clean water must be secured for everyone on the planet.
- Peace: we must learn to live peacefully with larger populations.
- Opportunities: larger populations provide great opportunities for talent, creativity and innovation.