The disadvantages of hydropower is discussed below:
1. Disruptive: building dams and other hydropower plants can disrupt the natural flow of bodies of water.
2. Not suitable for everyone: people who live inland or far from bodies of water usually find that hydropower is not a practical solution for them.
3. Not transportable: unlike coal or wood, hydropower cannot be transported across the world. It needs to be generated in situ.
4. Harms biodiversity: dams or hydropower plants located in rivers or sea shores can disrupt the natural habitats of several different species.
5. Necessitates special equipment: special equipment, and high levels of engineering skill, are necessary to ensure that hydropower can be harnessed.