Meaning: Junk food is food that is bad or unhealthy for us. It is so called because it is more like garbage than food.
Junk food may contain high levels of saturated fat, for instance. At the same time, it may have little nutritional content in terms of vitamins, minerals and fiber.
Junk food sometimes contains unhealthy preservatives and other chemicals. Sometimes people use junk food as synonymous with fast food. However, some fast food can be perfectly healthy.
Why should we not eat junk food?
- Chemicals: junk food often contains preservatives and flavorings that have an adverse effect on our health.
- Low in vitamins and minerals: these are essential for a healthy body.
- Low in fiber: fiber is necessary for a healthy digestive system.
- High in saturated fat: this can cause obesity, heart disease and cancers.
- Less tasty: a freshly prepared salad or another wholesome meal prepared with love is much tastier than junk food.
- Poor ethics: to cut costs, many junk food companies cut corners when it comes to issues like animal welfare.
- Limiting: why limit yourself to junk food when there is a world of flavor out there to explore?
How to avoid junk food?
- Learn to cook: prepare your own meals.
- Try different restaurants: explore the local area.
- Educate yourself: learn about the dangers of junk food.
- Don’t be swayed by peer pressure: just because your friends eat junk food, it does not mean that you have to.
- Love yourself: love yourself and thus take care with what types of foods you ingest.
Conclusion: It is easy to avoid junk food if you want to.