The word communicate means to share information. Communicare means, to share. We can improve our communication skills by learning to share information effectively. By contrast, bad communication leaves people unsure what the communicator is trying to say.
10 Ways to Improve communication skills
- Think before you speak: be clear in your mind about what you want to say.
- Choose your words carefully: choose the best words for the job.
- Be concise: it is easier for people to take in a simple, concise message.
- Be aware of facial expressions: we communicate through our facial expressions too.
- Use gestures: gestures can help us to get our point across.
- Make eye contact: but not too intensely, to hold your interlocutor’s attention.
- Practice what you say before you say it: and practice your gestures and facial expressions too.
- Listen: good communication is about listening as much as about talking.
- Encourage questions and feedback: communication should be a two way process.
- Be honest: we can only communicate effectively if we can truly put our heart into what we are saying.
Conclusion: No matter how shy you are, you can always improve your communication skills.