Teamwork means working in a team. More specifically it means working well in a team. Teamwork comes from two words: team and work.
Team means a group of people working together. It comes from an old Germanic word meaning a group of animals drawing a plough togther.
Work means labor, putting effort in to achieve a goal. It comes from the Old English noun weorc.
Importance of teamwork.
- Efficiency: teams get things done more efficiently than lone individuals.
- Pooling skills: a good team will let everyone use their individual skills to the full.
- Social: working together is fun for social animals like humans.
- Learning: we can learn from other members of the team.
- Leadership: teamwork is a context for leadership skills to shine.
- Following: followership is just as important as leadership; teamwork helps us to develop this skill.
- Problem solving: good teamwork teaches us to resolve problems effectively.
Conclusion: Working well in a team can bring out the best in us.