Diwali is an ancient festival of lights which since time memorial is full of excitement. It brings the people of all ages together to celebrate the ‘victory of lights over darkness’, i.e., ‘victory of knowledge over ignorance’ or ‘victory of righteousness over evil’.
The bursting of fire crackers is the most widespread way to celebrate Diwali. However, in recent times, the crackers have been found to be very harmful to the environment as well as to our health.
To avoid negative consequences of crackers, here is a quick outline of how we can still have a memorable diwali without fire crackers.
Decorate Your Home: When Diwali is just around the corner, act as an interior designer and decorate your house with candles, diyas, flowers and lights. This will bring the same feeling of bursting crackers if you never knew!
Meet Old Friends and Relive the Memories: Instead of running and bursting crackers in the streets this Diwali spare some quality time and have a family reunion.
- Lighting up your home: String fairy lights along the walls indoors and out, put lanterns in your windows, light candles, and let those house lights shine brightly to welcome your neighbors.
- Organize cultural events: Make this Diwali something to remember by organizing a dancing competition or something of the sort. This shall keep you busy all day long while you enjoy the moment.
- Make Rangolis: Keep yourself busy by making rangolis. In the ancient days, rangolis were used to feed the birds and we can try to relive these golden times. You can do this by using rice and pulses and do the fine finish by using flowers such as roses.
- Make, eat and distribute sweets: Spend more time in enjoying the other traditions of this festival like savoring the food delicacies.
- Meet family and friends: Spend this Diwali by getting together with your near and dear ones and refrain from purchasing firecrackers completely.
- Shop for everything else but firecrackers: New clothes and presents for your loved should be the priority in your shopping list and not firecrackers.
Conclusion: These alternative ideas will help you to enjoy Diwali in a way you are comfortable with.