Here are five reasons why true patriotism is an important value.
1. A sense of community: when a nation is composed of true patriots, they will feel a sense of community with each other. They will feel that they are working together for a common goal and their love for their country will result in its peaceful development.
2. Doing good: patriotism can motivate people to make their country a force for good. For instance, they might plunge their efforts into scientific research in national universities, or they might turn their country into a place that provides overseas aid to countries that are in need of it.
3. Helping out at home: patriotism can motivate citizens to fix the problems that they see around them in their country rather than simply emigrating to another country to escape them. Patriotism might not be something super glamorous, but it can involve amazingly meaningful work such as setting up grassroots initiatives to tackle poverty in the patriot’s countries, or caring for the biodiversity of their country through ecological work.
4. A role model: patriotism can turn a country into a model of peace and prosperity and as such it can inspire other countries to do the same. It can transform the world!
5. A sense of home: everybody deserves to have a place that they can call home and patriotism enables people to feel that their country is their true home.