Deepavali or as it usually pronounced, Diwali is one of the biggest festivals of India, and it gets celebrated in all parts of the country by all religions and castes. It is one of those festivals which gets celebrated by all the people in the country regardless of their castes and communities. It is the festival which gets celebrated exactly 20 days after the Dussehra festival. It may be the only festival in which literally 95% of Indians get excited and celebrate it with great joy and happiness.
Meaning of Deepavali
Diwali or Deepavali get celebrated because it is a belief that on this day victory of light over darkness took place.
Every religion has their own reasons to celebrate it, but one thing is sure that every house gets decorated with lots of Diya or bright lights on this auspicious day.
Why It Is Celebrated
There are several reasons due to which Deepavali gets celebrated and here are a few of them:
- Lord Ram came back to Ayodhya after serving 14 years of Banwas and after defeating Ravana. It is a belief that Ayodhya got decorated with a huge number of Diya and lights when Lord Ram returned and from then onwards, Hindus, celebrate this day as Deepavali.
- Sikhs celebrate this festival as Bandhi Chhor Diwas because on this auspicious day, the sixth Guru, Guru Hargobind Singh got released from the prison of Gwalior and people celebrate this occasion remembering the great Guru of the Sikhs. You can see a huge number of people from around the world visiting the Golden Temple on this special occasion because the Diwali view of the Golden temple is famous around the world firstly due to its beautiful view and secondly due to the amazing crowd gathered there.
- There are several other reasons as well due to which people of other religions celebrate this amazing festival Buddhists and Jains celebrate this festival remembering their history on this auspicious day.
How It Is Celebrated
There are several ways by which this day gets celebrated, and a few of them are here below:
- People decorate their houses entirely by lighting lots of diyas in their houses.
- People use lots of colorful lights to decorate their houses and to look different and more beautiful than others.
- Children and adults fire lots of firecrackers which is the key way to celebrate this amazing festival. Though firecrackers cost a lot these days, the excitement level of people goes so high that they don’t care about the money they spend on this day and they care about their enjoyment only.
- People do various kinds of Pujas and prayers in their houses towards Goddess Lakshmi to bless them with knowledge and lots of money. Aarti of Lakshmi goddess takes place in every house and afterward people have their dinner.
- Various kinds of sweets get eaten by people around the country to celebrate this wonderful festival. And some special sweets are also made on this special occasion which gets eaten throughout the country.
Importance Of Deepavali
Deepavali carries huge importance in everyone’s life because of some reasons which are here below:
- Religious importance is attached to this festival due to which people of various religions celebrate this festival with great joy.
- It is a festival of happiness, and that happiness is quite visible on the faces of people while firing various crackers.
- There are various historical stories attached to this festival so children can know about the history while celebrating Deepavali festival.
- Some people have problems with this amazing festival because of the pollution that this festival causes. The festival is great, but the problem has become quite huge, and the level of air pollution goes high in one day only. Due to this, the Delhi government restricted the selling of firecrackers, and maybe this year, lots of other state governments will do the same as well.
Deepavali is a great festival which gets celebrated by the people around the country. Though people might have different ways of celebrating it, the joy on everyone’the s face remains the same. Though Deepavali should get celebrated every year, one noticeable point is that lots of people firecrackers due to which the amount of pollution in the air increase drastically. Recently in Delhi, the firecrackers got banned due to air pollution, and due to the pollution level on Diwali, soon it may get banned throughout the country. Diwali should get celebrated with great joy and excitement, but the involvement of firecrackers shouldn’t be there as it is causing a lot of air pollution.