Kaziranga national park is the national park situated in Golaghat district of Assam state in India. There are 166 national parks in India, and it is one of the most famous national parks of India. Kaziranga national park has one of the most numbers of rhinoceroses in India. It got declared as World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1985.
Kaziranga national park is one of the most beautiful national parks in the world. The governing body looking after the park is a government of Assam and government of India.
It has a total area of 430 square km, and that is why it is one of the largest national parks in India. The place is famous for a lot of rhinoceroses, and in 1904 the wife of then Viceroy visited the place, and she didn’t see rhinoceroses at that place. She asked her husband to take some preventive measures because the place got famous because of Rhinoceroses and she wanted to prevent the species from getting extinct. The climate of the national park is quite good as the national park sees three seasons, i.e., summer, winter, and monsoon.
Importance of Kaziranga National Park
The importance of Kaziranga national park is as below:
- Kaziranga national park has some of the animals which are not available anywhere in India, and that is why people come here from various countries to visit this special park.
- The national park is a house to lots of species which are not available in any other country.
- It gets known as a great area for birds where we can find a white-fronted goose, black-necked stork, Nordmann’s Greenshank, black-bellied tern, Pallas’ fish eagle, Lesser Kestrel, etc.
- The Kaziranga national park inhabits two of the largest snakes in the world named reticulated python and rock python. In addition to it, the national park also inhabits the largest venomous snakes in the world, King Cobra. There are several other mammals and animals in the national park which cannot be available anywhere else.
- The greenery of the park is also very famous throughout the world because it has four types of vegetation named as alluvial savanna woodlands, alluvial inundated grasslands, tropical semi-evergreen forests, and tropical moist mixed deciduous forests.
These are some points which tell the importance of Kaziranga national park.
Various Animals Available
There are lots of animals available in the national park, and we will mention a few of those animals here:
- The park is home to the world’s largest number of one-horned rhinoceros as there are 1855 one-horned rhinoceros in the national park.
- The park is home to the world’s largest number of wild Asiatic water buffalo as the national park has 1666 wild Asiatic water buffaloes
- The national park also has 468 eastern swamp deer which are not found anywhere else in such numbers.
- Kaziranga national park has the highest number of tigers available in the world. According to the latest census, the national park has 118 tigers and various other leopards and Bengal tigers due to which it got declared as a tiger reserve in 2006.
- In small mammals, the national park has a particolored flying squirrel, Chinese ferret badgers, Indian pangolins, Indian gray mongoose, Bengal fox, hispid hare, etc.
- In other animals, the park has golden langur, Assamese macaque, hoolock gibbon, etc.
Some of these animals found in the national park are not available anywhere else in the world due to which its importance in the list of world heritage sites is huge.
Other Information About the Park
- To visit the national park, one needs several guides, and the national park has several authorized guides which go along with you inside the park and guide you about various things in the park.
- It got recognized as an important bird area by the Birdlife International for the conservation of lots of species which are not available anywhere else in the world.
- One can have the tour of the national park by riding on an elephant or jeeps.
Kaziranga national park is one of the biggest national parks in the world, and it has one of the most important species of animals and birds which are not available anywhere else, and that is why the government make lots of efforts to making sure that all the animals and birds are safe in the national park. The park can amaze you, but still one should definitely give a visit to such an amazing place which is on the UNESCO heritage list.