Cleanliness is next to Godliness. Almost all of us know about this proverb, but we hardly follow it in our daily lives. Some people lack personal sanitation and hygiene, while most of us neglect cleanliness of public places. Cleanliness is an important aspect that we must take care of as an individual and also as a citizen of the nation. It is your moral responsibility to keep yourself as well as your surroundings clean. Cleanliness adds to the beauty of an individual. It also prevents various diseases. So the questions is what can I do for clean India?
Things that I can do for clean India:
- Reduce, reuse and recycle: It is important to choose products that can be recycled and reused. Avoid all types of plastic products. A cotton bag or a jute bag might seem to be costlier while buying but it will last longer too. Plastic bags and glasses or other plastic products cause harm to the environment. Reduce plastic waste and save the environment and keep the country clean.
- Make use of dustbins: Throwing debris in separate dustbins, i.e. wet and dry waste segregation is important. Do not throw the waste on the road or other public places. If you are at home with no dustbins around, then make it a habit to collect waste in a bag or keep in your hand till you find a dustbin.
- Choose to walk or ride a bicycle: it is not only important to keep the roads and surroundings clean, but also you must keep the air clean too. Using a car or other motor vehicles increases pollution and depletes natural resources. It is better to choose to walk or opt for a bicycle which is healthy and cost efficient too, and it will keep the environment clean.
- Do not scribble: many people have the habit to scribble or write their names when they visit any famous place or monument. This reduces the beauty of that place and causes irreversible damage too. You must make sure not to scribble.
- Do not spit: Do not spit or clean the nose in public places as it makes them dirty and can cause the spread of numerous diseases.
- Do not store stagnant water: Stagnant water is the root cause of mosquitoes and diseases.
- Maintain personal hygiene: stay clean, bathe regularly, wash hands several times a day especially before and after meals, brush your teeth, cut nails and maintain personal hygiene.
Advantages of cleanliness:
- Cleanliness can help to prevent several contagious diseases.
- It can help keep away the mosquitoes and flies.
- It makes our surrounding look beautiful and hygienic.
- People get attracted to clean people and places.
- It reduces the cost of maintenance too.
- It gives a feeling of pride and satisfaction to the person who maintains cleanliness.
- Cleanliness improves immunity and keeps germs away.
- Cleanliness can affect the behavior and expression of people.
- Cleanliness can provide a sense of mental well-being and improve mental health too.
- It improves the overall personality of an individual.
It is important that we maintain personal cleanliness and also contribute to a cleaner India by following points mentioned above. Joining the Swachh Bharat mission of the Prime Minister is also a good way to contribute for a clean and healthy nation.