Sport is a huge part of everyone’s life, and it has come out that people around the world are beginning to give more importance to sports than education, which is great news. Previously people were so focused on their studies that they didn’t have any time for sports and everyone thought playing sports is a wastage of time and one shouldn’t take sports as his profession. But now looking at the success of various sportspersons, the schools have realized the importance of sports in education, and that is why a lot of sports-related syllabi has added to the curriculums of various schools.
What are Sports in Education? Sports are the activities that integrate amusement with physical exercise. Sports are usually games with certain rules that need exertion of body, mind or both. Education refers to learning a skill or acquiring knowledge. Education is very important for the wholesome growth and development of a child. Sports are a fun way to keep the physical activity at par with the mental growth needs. At the same time, sports balance the static nature of academic education. Since education is not only about some subjects but also about the entire personality development, as also is sports, there are other values to be learned from playing sports, making it an indispensable part of education. The following are the reasons why sports are important in education.
Importance of Sports in Education
- Sports in education is vital because if someone is exceptionally talented in a sport, he may get selected in the international team which will earn him a lot of money. Hundreds of sportspersons didn’t study at all, but the money that they are earning is way more than anyone who studied with them.
- Becoming a bookworm is not good for any student, and any kind of physical activity should be there for better health, and if sports get added to education, that physical activity will be available to the students. People who are in sports always stay much healthier than people who don’t love sports.
- There are hundreds of jobs related to sports available in the market, and if someone feels that sports are better for his career, he should choose sports in his studies, and it will get him a good job.
- Sports are the fun kind of physical activity that is necessary for children’s growth. It regulates all the organs in the body keeping the muscles toned and the cells of the body alert and active. This helps in learning.
- Sports provide a much-needed balance to the academic side of education. Studying all the time from books and on laptops can get monotonous. Sports offer a fresh change while benefiting the body.
- Sports need mental discipline like focus and concentration which are very necessary for academic education as well. If one wants to excel in something one needs to be dedicated in order to pursue an activity or a goal. Sports teach you the right attitude of dedication if one does have interest in some form of sport.
- Sports teaches us teamwork and various other morals which we can’t learn by studying. Especially in a team sport, a person learns the importance of working together in harmony as a team. Again this is valuable education as far as life is concerned.
- Sports teach us the importance of putting in the effort to achieve something. That the goal is to give your best and put in the necessary effort is a lesson that is learned by playing sports.
- It is also important to fail. Sports usually let us experience this feeling in a safe and controlled atmosphere rather than in the academics and jeopardize the future.
- Various players have also studied very well and have played various sports internationally. That is why one should never think that playing sports means one cannot study well.
- Not everyone excels in academics or sports, but sports teach us the value of determination. This value is usually a little slow in coming in academics but very necessary in higher education to achieve goals.
- There is an extensive range of options available when it comes to sports. One can try various types before one finalizes on a sport to pursue. Also within the schools, it enlarges the scope of activities.
- It takes courage to confidently stand in front of a large audience and perform whatever sport you play.
People have more confidence in other careers than sports as a career that is why people don’t take sports as subjects in their education. However, people need to rethink because a sportsperson can earn more than a lot of people. Sports make a person sturdy and robust. They also give real-life values that do not come by classroom teaching. The social skills to deal with different people, failure, and values like coping with failure, favoritism, and bias while maintaining your integrity that take one very far in life are the education one receives in a sports field. Also, sports keep the body and consequently the mind in a good state which help in learning.