Democracy is that form of governance where the elected representatives from the public make the government. Voting is the right that each adult individual has to elect the representative for the government. So voting for a representative to govern is the way the public participates in the governance of the state.
In a democracy where everyone has a say in the matters of policy making it is only possible to elect a few representatives who express the opinions on behalf of the public.
The importance of voting in a democracy lies in the idea behind the form of governance. The voting process decides under which government your entire nation will work. And if somebody has faith in a candidate, he should definitely vote for him because voting is critical. Results are a different factor, but every person should vote. Sometimes a vote can decide the future of a nation and that could be the instance when you might be cursing yourself for not voting, that is why voting is essential.
Importance of Voting in a Democracy
- Voting is the way of public participation. Either a person votes or he stands as a representative himself in the elections; these are the two ways of involvement in politics
- Every person has a responsibility to choose the right representative. If he does not vote, he is shirking his duty by letting others take responsibility for him.
- When a person votes for someone, he has carefully studied the aspects of the nominee to be qualified to handle that role. In that sense voting is an informed decision.
- Voting is important because when someone votes, he gets involved in the process of choosing his favorite candidate and while choosing his ideal candidate, he might get the chance to select the CM or PM of his country.
- Voting is also critical because all the candidates feel a responsibility that various voters are voting for them and they should do their best to provide them the best services once they get elected.
- Voting is also very beneficial because the countries who do not have a voting process in them are not progressing in various fields, but other countries are reaching new heights.
- On the other hand, voting can also be done to keep certain undesirable elements out of power by voting against them.
- Having voted gives one the confidence in the choice made and one hopes for good work from the candidate. More people voting lead to less of ambiguity in the way the people want to vote and their preferences. This helps leader go ahead with confidence rather than worrying about splitting power.
- When more people start voting, better candidates start surfacing as they know that elections are no longer a matter of random chance. When the candidates announce their agendas, voting ensures that the items are the agenda will at least be presented for discussion and if possible for executing the plans.
- Voting is the process which shows the unity of people. Candidate for whom people have combined showed faith and voted gets elected in the power which reflects the strength of unity.
- If one is frustrated about the corruption or other kinds of problems in his country, voting is the process by which he can choose a better option next time.
- Voting reinstates the power of the people back in them. This sets an example to all the nations who look up to democracies.
These were a few points that show the importance of voting in a democracy. The voting process is quite messy in India, but one point is for sure that every vote can make a difference in India. And that is why voting is essential for every individual whether he is a child or an old aged person, a man or a woman or even a transgender, but voting should be done. Voting is not just a right of an individual but also his duty. When you vote, you are taking responsibility for running the government the way you want it. The right candidate also believes in keeping his promises to the people who voted for him and to his commitment towards the service and development of the nation that he will be serving. So it is a significant thing to participate in democratic governance by voting.