Caring for the elderly involves fulfilling the needs that are special and unique to those that are elderly in the society who are not able to fulfill these needs on their own.
Some of the activities that they may be helped with include health care and daily chores. You may decide to take your elderly to a care home for the elderly or you may choose to take care of them in your own home.
Importance of elderly care
- One of the main reasons as to why elderly care is important is that old age is a very sensitive stage. You should hence care for the elderly to ensure that their levels of worry and anxiety are reduced by making sure you care for them and offer comfort.
- The second importance of caring for the elderly is because they have an uncertain future. Since they are aware that their bodies’ functionality is failing, they need to have someone take care of then to help them cope with the future uncertainty.
- It is also important to take care of our elders as they are more prone to abuse. Being around them makes sure that they do not receive any form of abuse.
- Old people are also more prone to diseases. It is hence important to take care of the elderly to ensure that these illnesses do not make them more weaker and that they get the medical attention needed.
- You should also take of the elderly as a sign of gratitude. We should show love, care and affection to them as a way of thanking them for raising us and taking care of us.
- Taking care of the elderly gives you a sense of moral responsibility. This is because it is what is expected of us and hence abandoning them means that we are abandoning our responsibilities.
- It is also important to take care of the elderly as a way of acquiring wisdom from them. Old members of the society have more experiences in life and hence have more wisdom that they can share with us.
How do you care for elderly parents at home?
- The first way in which you can take care of the elderly at home is to use the services of an in-home care giver. These are people who are qualified when it comes to elderly care.
- You should also ensure that you maintain house safety. This includes avoiding slippery floors, naked wires and also installing security systems.
- You should also have a routine schedule for the family members. This is to ensure that everyone in the house takes the responsibility of caring for the elder person.
- You should also ensure that they take part in light exercises every now and then. This is to strengthen their bones and ensure that their health improves.
- You should also ensure that they get prescribed medications and medical care. This is to ensure that their health is maintained.
How can we help the elderly in our community?
- We can help the elderly in our community by being good neighbors. This is where you can help the elderly neighbor in terms of shopping and helping them clean their compounds.
- By forming community organizations for the elderly, you can help the elderly in the community with issues like getting transportation and getting social services.
- Elderly people mostly feel alone and miserable. Visiting the elderly in the community every now and then will ensure that they get a sense of companionship.
- You can also organize fundraising functions in the community to purchase scooters for those who cannot walk and cannot afford them.
Helping the elderly persons in our homes and our communities is a responsibility of each and everyone. We should not see them as a burden to us but instead, we should use that as a chance to return the love and care they gave us when they were raising us. If you are not available to take care of them at home, you can employ the services of a care giver or take them to care homes.