Poverty is basically the state of being poor. It is a concept subject to perspective. Poverty refers to the state where the number of poor people is by far more than that of the people who can actually afford a decent lifestyle. In this case therefore, most of the residents of that particular setting are normally struggling to make a living and even secure a meal and for this reason, the living standards and conditions in a poverty ridden place are not desirable.
Poverty is caused by factors such as changing trends in the economy, lack of education in a country, high rates of separation, overpopulation, culture, disease and environmental issues like absence of rain and calamities. These factors therefore make it impossible for a person to afford an ordinary living pattern.
Causes of poverty
- Poverty is caused by corruption where a few individuals in power are so greedy that they steal public finances and therefore deny the public finances meant to make their living standards better.
- Misappropriation of funds is another cause where finances are misused or used in the wrong way and therefore leaving the important projects at bay.
- Foreign dominance of the economy is also a cause where the foreigners take over and therefore are the only ones who amass wealth for themselves, leaving the local people in worse conditions than they found them.
- Debt is another cause as it denies growth in the sense that finances earned are channeled towards repaying the debt.
Effects of Poverty
- Poverty makes it impossible for people to seek medical assistance or to even access to any form of medication hence poor health.
- Poverty also causes lack of education. This is because education can sometimes be very demanding financially in terms of school fees, reading and writing materials and also school uniforms.
- Poverty causes stress. Poor individuals report much more stress cases than middle-class families.
- Poverty is the main cause of elevated levels of dependence. Poor people tend to depend on their family members or the government to get financial aid.
- Poverty also leads to hunger and malnutrition. This is due to the inability to afford good food or no food at all. This may contribute to slow development in children.
- Poverty also contributes to increased levels of corruption. Poor people in desperate need for jobs also result to bribing to get jobs.
- Poverty can also affect a country in terms of low GDP. This is because poor people have no means of becoming productive. They instead depend on others for their needs which reduces the country’s productivity.
- Poverty is the main cause for the rise of street children and street families. Since one cannot afford good housing without money, they result to staying in the streets and beg for food and money.
- Poverty has led to the development of slum housing in urban areas. These are cheap houses that people with little or no income love in. This type of housing is bad due to high chances of spread of diseases.
Solutions to poverty
- Fighting corruption is the principle way to fight corruption with the aim of eliminating the very ideals that cause poverty.
- Proper utilization of funds can also help fight poverty and provide and actual solution as it makes good for proper planning.
- Avoiding debt is a life principle that can reduce chances of poverty because the finances earned thereafter can be geared towards personal development for an individual or their country.
- Reducing foreign dominance on the economy is also another way as it helps ensure that the local people profit from what is rightfully their own.
Poverty is the major cause of lack of development in any country. It is therefore the obligation of every government to try and improve the living standards and conditions of its people by providing employment opportunities and other means by which people can earn money and provide for their families.
Hence, poverty is a situation in life that has to be fought by all means necessary not only by the government but by individuals as well.
By Mary (edited)
Last edited on May 15, 2020