Games are a form of entertainment that may be partaken by either one person or more. Often games are for fun but exercise is also an added advantage for some games.
Types of games
There are many types of games each with its own set of rules and expectations and the end result of a game can be in three parameters; winning losing or ending in a draw meaning that the involved parties matched each other equally and tied. Games can be in different forms;
1. Outdoor games include the ones that are played outside of the house. This may be because these games require a lot of space or the participants involved are more than could fit indoors. Some of these games include soccer, baseball, hockey, netball, basket ball, football among others.
2. Indoor games are actually very few and characteristically require less space. The number of participants varies depending on the game and may go from as little as one to as many as ten or more. Some indoor games include poker, darts and many more.
3. Computer games are games that are played over the computer. They are electronic hence power dependent. Computer games are the most diverse and critical because two people could be playing with and against each other while in the same house or in different house. Computer games could also be played by a single individual against the computer or by two people against each other in the same house and on the same computer.
4. Mobile games on the other hand are played on the mobile phone. They can be downloaded and played offline but others require internet connection. Mobile games can be played by two people or one against the computer or a virtual programmed opponent.
5. Physical games constitute the ones that are actually played by real people in real-time. They include all the ball games, swimming and many others. Physical games can be played indoors and outdoors and the number of players varies from one person to the next.
Importance of games
- Games are a good extra curriculum activity. They help in the establishment of a person’s mental peace because they take you out of all other forms of stress.
- Games can also serve as a unification factor because they bring people from different nationalities, backgrounds and ethnic denominations as a well as religion together.
- As a source of income, games provide a means of livelihood for both men and women who play for their respective teams and are paid.
- Games are also a source of fun. They are engaged in to bring happy moments for both children and adults.
- Development of talent is another benefit. Having talent in swimming and going for swimming for fun will help further the swimming capabilities and skills of a person.
- Healing is also another benefit of games. When people have had a rough time during wars and calamities of different kinds, they come together and participate in games that bring them back together.
- Team building can be achieved through games that require people to work together and coordinate their efforts for the common goal of winning.
- Creating awareness can also incorporate games when people are asked to participate in certain games during events meant to create awareness about diseases or campaigns or respective occasions.
Role of games in the society
- Games add value to the life of every individual that appreciates it and will build both character and mental.
- Games are also important in bringing social cohesion. This is because through people coming together for games, they are able to build great relationships.
- Games also contribute to the growth of the society as a whole. This is because people who succeed and win awards due to games come back to develop the community.
- Games can also be a means in which the infrastructure in a society is developed. This is through the construction of stadiums and centers where these games can be played.
The idea of games has been passed on from generation to generation but what has remained true is the fact that games are still relevant now and in the future. In as much as games are diverse, there is always something for everyone in the arena of games; some love football, some love basketball, some love indoor games, some love outdoor games but in one way or the other, games and fun add taste to life.