A grandmother is the mother of your parents. A grandmother forms part of the extended family.
A grandmother is not necessarily old as the perception of most people. Some grandmothers can be very young especially if our parents gave birth to us at a tender age.
Parental and maternal grandmothers
A paternal grandmother is the grandmother on your father’s side of the family. She is the other of your father. The mother of your mother or the grandmother from your mother’s side of the family is referred to as a maternal grandmother. There are several myths that surround paternal grandmothers. Some regard them to be more loving and understanding while others refer them to be more firm and strict. However, paternal grandmothers are as important to us as maternal grandmothers.
Synonyms of grandmother
There are a lot of names that mean the same as grandmother. These include; grandma, granny, nana, ancestor, grannie, matriarch, dowager, Grammy, elder, gran, nanny and other urban dictionary names.
A great-grandmother is the mother of your grandparent. They also form part of the extended family. Great-grandmothers are also very important to us as they can give us a lot of wisdom and insight.
Importance of a grandmother
- One importance of having a grandmother is that they offer excellent advice. Since they have more experiences in life, they are the perfect people that we can go to for advice and guidance.
- Grandmothers are also have a great sense of history. They have a lot of knowledge of events that have happened in the past. They can also help us understand historical events better because they were either present at the time or they had relatives who were present at the time who narrated the events to them.
- Grandmothers also help us to learn about our cultures and traditions. With the influence of the Western culture, it is important to have people who can remind you of your culture.
- Grandmothers also have greater levels of patience than mothers. They listen more attentively and they do not rush into giving punishments. With this, they can help us overcome some stages in life like adolescence and teenage life.
- Grandmothers are also better cooks. They can cook better dishes since they have had years of experience in the same. They can also cook better traditional dishes that no one else can cook.
- Grandmothers also act as bridges to generational gaps. They act as a reflection of the old while at the same time they are able to fit into the young age. They also tell us of tales of our generational tree and tell us of our past family members.
- Grandmothers are also very easy to talk to. They offer better understanding of issues and they are also better listeners than our parents.
- Grandmothers also are very good story tellers. They narrate to us stories from the past that leave us inspired and motivated.
- Grandmothers are also a source of blessing to us. A grandmother can bless us through the praises that they shower us. People from some cultures and traditions visit their grandmothers just to receive blessings form them. This is because they are seen to be closer to ancestors.
- Another importance of grandmothers is that they can be used to pass on various artefacts. This can include necklaces, bangles, rings, etc. Some of these tools may have been passed on from generation to generation for a long time.
Great-grandmothers are very important to our lives. It is very important for us to take care of them since they may lack the energy to do heavy work. We should also ensure that we respect them to receive the blessings that they may pass on to us. Even though they are old, grandmothers can be very entertaining and fun.