Reading – Essay 1.
Reading is one of the most important parts of our lives if we want our communication skills to be of top notch.
The biggest mistake that people do is that they feel that communication ends in listening, writing and speaking, however, they need to know that reading is also a great part of communication.
Students who are getting coaching for various kinds of English fluency tests know the value of reading and with them everyone else should know the value of reading. It gets observed that the new generation people have stopped reading, previously people used to read newspapers, books, novels etc. but new day generation don’t carry good habits along with them and that is why the importance of reading is getting degraded day by day in everyone’s life. To know the real value of reading, one should go through below points:
Reading is necessary for day to day activities – People need to know that if they are not able to read, they can have lots of problems in their lives. For example, there are certain instructions written on every medicine and if someone eats any medicine, he should know how to eat that medicine and in what manner. If one cannot read properly then unfortunately there are possibilities that he may get the wrong dosage of medicine unless he meets a physician. Similarly, nowadays people have to fill a lot of forms on a daily basis. If someone needs a job, fill a form, need to get admitted to any hospital, fill a form, need some money from the bank, fill a form and the list go on. And these things can only get possible if you would know what needs to get written on the form and because of your weakness in reading, you can’t fill the form properly.
Reading can help you secure a good job – If you are a good reader, it can do wonders because a lot of companies do mention on a job requirement that they need a good reader and a quick responder. Various emails, letters, messages need to get read quickly and forwarded to where it belongs and if you can do that, you will not only get the job, but you may also get some promotions as well.
Development of mind – Reading also helps in the development of mind. People don’t really know but by reading books a lot of successful people try to develop their mind. The mind muscle connection with the eyes improves and they tend to read things a lot quicker and in a much better way than a lot of other people do.
Socially inactivity – If we are not able to read properly then we wouldn’t get able to read anyone’s message that they might have sent to us via various social media websites and applications. So, in this way, if we are unable to read, we can’t make friends.
Imagination – Reading can bring a huge change in our imagination and that you can notice yourself. Suppose you are reading a novel, now you can think of the character of a novel as yourself and while reading the novel, you will feel that you are reading the story of yourself which will increase your internal happiness.
These were a few reasons due to which reading is very important. People tend to show some interest in reading books nowadays, but still a lot of people think that reading newspapers and reading novels are boring. They need to understand that social media cannot always be the sources of various news, they need to go through some newspapers to get updated with world news. And one can read various novels to get motivated or to become happier as well.
Reading – Essay 2
Reading is the act of deciphering the words and sentences; and comprehending the meaning that the author intended the sentences and the text to convey. One can read books, newspapers, articles, etc., written to convey some information or story. It communicates the message implied in the words. It is one of the basic skills of education and communication.
In higher education, reading refers to studying a particular subject. A person is required to read up in detail about the particular subject that she specialises in, to be able to gain some level of expertise.
The act of checking certain measurements, scales or utilities like water, electricity by noting the units on the meter is often referred to as ‘reading’ the measurement.
Reading as a hobby refers to actually reading the text of books that one is interested in. Reading is a vital skill to inculcate in children.
Reading in a spiritual sense, can also be refereed to inferring information from reading a face, palm, or horoscope.
Advantages of Reading
- Reading is a basic skill that helps one understand and communicate information.
- Reading is a good quality hobby since it usually adds to your information.
- You can read without causing any disturbance to anyone unlike activities like listening to music, playing musical instruments, dancing, playing sports, etc.
- One can read alone without feeling the need for company.
- People who read a lot are usually more knowledgeable about certain areas, of course depending on what kind of reading is undertaken.
- One doesn’t need any special equipment or set-up for reading unlike sports or music.
- Reading out aloud for children can raise their language abilities and communication skills.
- As children grow up, reading can also become a good confidence booster.
- Reading good fiction can trigger imagination in children and this leads to creativity of every kind in a child’s personality.
- If you read a good book, it leaves you with a feeling of exhilaration for a long time.
- If you want to gain knowledge about a subject, you can simply read up a few books to understand that subject.
- Reading books such as religious texts is often the only form of ‘pleasure’ that is available for many social groups e.g. prisoners, senior citizens.
- Through reading books, you can get exposure to so many concepts outside your circle, new countries, places, recipes, history, almost anything that you can’t experience first-hand.
- Reading a good book can often be a stress relieving therapy.
- Reading self-help books can be a great tool for personality and lifestyle change.
Disadvantages of Reading
- Reading is restricted to knowing a particular language or script. If you don’t know the language but can read the script, you still can’t make out the meaning.
- To enjoy reading as a hobby, one must have tools like books or reading material, unlike enjoying music where one can simply even sing.
- Traditional reading materials like books require maintenance. Every once in a while, they need to be checked for termites, humidity, etc.
- Reading materials can be expensive, even E-books aren’t very cheap.
- Children who can’t read yet can get a bit bored with books, unless they have attractive visuals.
- Reading can often be seen as a loner’s activity.
- One can get lost in the atmosphere of a book, sometimes even long after the book has been read thus causing a disconnect with reality.
- Some subjects cannot be understood just by reading, e.g. medicine, sports, etc.
- Sometimes superficial reading leads to a pseudo-understanding and decisions based on this can be faulty or dangerous. E.g. self-medication by reading online websites.
- While travelling to foreign countries, most of the information is available in foreign languages and simply reading it is of no use.
- Children who read too much miss out on physical activities and playing with other children.
- Excessive and unhealthy reading, especially in a bad light may harm your eyesight.
- While reading some texts it is important to exercise discretion. It may not be wise to believe everything written in books.
- One needs to supervise the kind of literature that is made available to children. It is not advisable to give them access to books with adult content.
- Sometimes understanding technicalities cannot happen by merely reading about them e.g. trying to understand how a machine works only by reading.
Reading is an important component of communication, apart from it being a very important tool for learning and entertainment. Acquiring this skill at an early age can have far-reaching consequences for one’s life.
Importance of Reading – Essay 3.
Reading is an activity that involves one studying various written or typed material. Reading is not only limited to those who are studying in academic institutions but it’s an activity that everyone can take part in. This is due to the benefits that it offers. The importance of reading is discussed further in this essay.
Reading helps in the development of a healthy mind. This is because it keeps the mind active as you get to learn new things.
Reading helps to improve one’s concentration skills. One is able to focus on a single book for a few hours and follow the activities and messages outlined. Focusing on a book for a few hours will improve one’s ability to concentrate on something for long.
Reading also gives one a chance of learning new things. Various reading materials contain information that one gains on things and events that they did not previously know about.
Reading also ensures that one is kept informed. It is activity that gives one access to information on matters that are both past and current.
Reading helps to reduce the levels of ignorance around the world. This is because when people read, they are able to gain information that helps them to understand better the world around them.
Reading is an activity that is educative. Most of the reading materials are educative in nature as they educate people on matters that will help them in life.
By engaging in reading, one is able to reduce the levels of idleness. This is because it is an activity that one can take part in when they are not busy at work.
Reading is very beneficial as it not only helps towards the development of a more active and healthier mind but it helps towards the development of a more educated world. It is hence important for people to take part in this activity as often as possible.
Page Last Updated on: March 22, 2019.