Importance of Newspaper in Our Daily Life – Short Essay 1.
In the modern times, we live in a rapidly changing world, that changes at a super-fast speed in multiple areas of life; every day. Some of these changes are a bit distant from our daily lives, like world politics, etc. But some areas affect our daily lives directly. And yet others are important changes for us to know to stay in touch with the changing times. When you are in discussions with your friends and family, it is important to stay in touch with the latest happenings, in your society, your country and in the world you live in. There are many professionally related areas of the News, which one needs to stay in touch with, to be progressive on the career front, for e.g. technological developments, medical research, etc.
Newspaper is a primary source of the latest changes in our world, called News. In today’s world the format of the newspapers has changed. Some older generations still rely on the physical paper copy of the Newspaper. Whereas, the younger generations rely on the electronic format of the Newspaper, called E-copy, available online, on their website portals. Whatever be the format, Newspapers still are one of the vital sources of News in our lives, even today.
Of course, in today’s world, the Newspapers deal with the ever-increasing challenge of the Online Social Media. Online Social Media like Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, etc. have the ability to convey News to the Global population, instantly, as it happens. These Online Social Media in recent times have been responsible for mass communication of vital information, across the globe, resulting in critical social changes and movements. And yet, reliability is always in issue with Online Social Media. Since everyone is a potential publisher, it is difficult to differentiate between authentic and fake News on the Online Social Media.
This is the strategic importance of Newspapers, even today. The reliability of the big brands of Newspapers in their biggest asset. People still rely on and wait to hear News from a reputed Newspaper brand, to confirm the reliability of the News.
Newspapers, utilizing the power of Online Social Media to their advantages is the best solution in today’s times.
Importance of Newspaper – Long Essay 2
Many of us Indians wake up to the newspaper. It is an essential part of our life, something that we look into before beginning the day. It has a little something for everyone in the family and something that builds our understanding of the world around. A newspaper can be understood in two ways- as a paper or as an organisation. When we look at newspaper as itself, it is folded paper which is circulated on a daily or weekly basis and carries the latest information about the happenings around the world and the country. A newspaper is also an organisation that is a news publishing agency that does so through the means of a paper. The role that it plays in our lives is integral and the benefits of it have been elucidated further
- Brings news from around the world: It is a one stop material for all happenings around the world at a daily basis.
- Mode of communication: Newspapers are a mass medium of communication that brings information to people at a large scale.
- Cheaper source of information: The information availability is at very cheap costs and is affordable by all without having to own devices like radios or televisions.
- Advertising: Newspapers have a wide reach and have become a significant medium for advertising.
- Classifieds: Job search, house search, matrimonial and other related information can be obtained from the newspaper with specific columns allocated for these purposes.
- Develop general knowledge: The newspaper helps us build our general knowledge by keeping ourselves updated of the current events.
- Develop vocabulary and language: Newspaper reading can help improve language and vocabulary by introducing us to new words and the contexts in which they are to be used.
- Entertainment: There are various column allocated specifically for entertainment in the form of film news and lifestyle news on a regular basis.
- Information about happenings in a locality: Events such as workshops, concerts, dramas etc happening locally are often popularised through the newspaper.
- Dedicated columns: The newspaper carries specific niched columns for health care and fashion making it a ready reckoner to keep updated in these areas.
- Science and Technology: We can get to know the advances that are happening in the field of science and technology especially for the general public who may not be aware of the technical aspects.
- Make informed choices: The news published through the newspaper helps us in making informed choices like voting decisions, investment choices and the like.
- Powerful tool of expression: Newspapers are the earliest forms of media and medium of expression in this modern world.
- Circulation of important announcements: Important announcements like bank holidays, cancellation of trains, public tenders, power cuts and so on are easily circulated by the newspaper given its reach.
- Documentation and evidence: A newspaper documents happenings across the world for a given period and act as proof or evidence of the happenings of the day.
- Platform to express grievances of the public: They also reflect the public opinion and are one of the means to bring forward the concerns of the public.
- Watchdog of democracy: Newspapers can be considered watchdogs of democracy by presenting the acts of the government and scrutinising them.
- Build public opinion: The information presented through newspapers helps build the public opinion about the society around.
- Carry analysis, opinions and commentaries: Newspapers make their readers more aware by presenting opinions and commentaries of important events by prominent individuals of the respective fields which helps people to go beyond just knowing things.
- Relevant information for all sections: The news is often provided in combination with information that is relevant to it like explanations of Sections of various Acts, business compliance and so on in simple terms making it a practical way of educating people of things that may be important for them.
The importance of the newspapers in our society cannot be reduced to a list of points. However, a comprehensive effort has been made to understand the role that it plays. The newspaper has emerged as cheap yet mass mode of communication which benefits all sections of society. Reading newspapers as a habit has a lot of benefits for every section of the population beginning with school-going children to business entrepreneurs and politicians. It has something for everyone and this versatility makes the newspaper a very important and integral part of our society.
By Swetha (2019)
Importance of Newspaper in Modern Life – Essay 3.
A newspaper is a daily publication available in the print form. It is one of the most popular media of mass communication. It could also be published twice or thrice daily or even weekly, however the daily form is the most popular.
Even after the advent of the internet, television and other media, newspaper sales have only picked up, showing the importance that they have in our lives. It is but a sheaf of papers but with immense information packed between the two covers. Almost everyone subscribes to at least one daily newspaper, often two.
Usually newspapers maintain a national focus with sections catering to regional and local news. However some newspapers are printed with for a specific region only. Some of the newspapers could have a particular focus, for example economics or science but more or less politics has the biggest coverage.
Importance of newspaper in modern life
- The news in its freshest form in a newspaper. The reporters are working hard to uncover stories and get them into print first.
- It is one of the most affordable forms of available information. In some places it is possible to read a newspaper for free.
- Newspapers cover information on various topics. So subscribing to just one newspaper can take of multiple topics of information.
- Newspapers usually have Expert columns, whereby experts give their advice on medical conditions, finances etc. This is available to reader free of charge,
- Newspapers are one of the most important places for advertisements. Since the reach of the newspapers is so high everyone prefers to advertise in them.
- It is a very popular place for placing classified advertisements whether they are for matrimony or for jobs or even for real estate.
- Newspapers are an important element for making public announcements particularly that could have legal implications, such as a change in name.
- Official announcements such as government tenders or announcement related recruitment in the government services are made in newspapers.
- For the socially inclined, newspaper is an important source of celebrity gossip.
- Similarly it is also source of information about fashion and the modal trends about clothes, shoes and other accessories.
- Current social trends and values believed by the people are also reflected in the newspaper.
- Local stories can be found in local newspapers since they will not be found anywhere else.
- Newspaper also has a section on entertainment– puzzles etc.
- Homes where newspapers are read lead to such habits in kids and are a great source of awareness for them.
- Topics of discussion amongst neighbours are triggered by the stories appearing in the newspapers.
- Film reviews, reception etc. are a regular part of a newspaper making it easier for a viewer to decide what films or t. v. programme to watch.
- People often to resort to the Lost and found columns to look for items of value lost.
- Many newspapers regularly publish Emergency contact numbers for ready reference.
- Important calendar events and time tables are to be frequently found published in newspapers.
- Old newspapers are used to make paper bags which are very helpful in replacing plastic bags.
Newspapers are a very popular publication that people all over the world use. Some newspapers have become big brands owing to the large number of readers and the very long duration of time since it has been published establishing a very high brand loyalty. Even so, many new publishers are trying to bring in a new publication, trying to differentiate themselves from the standards that have been set globally.
By Janhavi (2019)
Last Updated: March 18, 2019.