Earth formed around 4.7 billion years ago. The shape of the earth is very close to the sphere but not perfectly spherical. The equator diameter of the earth is about 12756 km, which is much larger than the polar diameter, which is about 12714 km. The surface area of the earth is 510065600 km in which the land is 29.2 % and rest 70.8 % is water.
Earth rotates on its axis, which is the imaginary line from the center. The two points where the axis of rotation is intersecting the surface of the earth is called poles, one of them is known as the North Pole, and other is called the South Pole. The one rotation concerning the sun is completed in 24 hours, and it is known as solar day.
Earth is rotating in the counter clockwise direction from left to right or towards a westward direction. The axis of rotation is serving as the reference for setting up the geographic grid of longitude and latitude. It is also providing a good measure of the passage of time, which is 24 hours a day. It is also greatly influencing the physical processes of life on earth.
Earth is the living planet. It is the only planet in our solar system that has all the factors favorable for sustaining life. More facts about earth include the following:
- Earth is the third planet from the sun. It is also the most beautiful planet for the optimum temperature and conditions for life.
- Seen from the space, it looks like a beautiful ball swirling with water and landmasses can be seen through the clouds in the atmosphere.
- Around 75 percent of the earth’s surface is water. The oceans and seas and the major currents form the major water bodies apart from the rivers, lakes and other water bodies.
- The landmasses are the areas inhabited by terrestrial beings including human
- The aquatic creatures, the fishes, corals and all the marine animals, as also certain reptiles are found in the water bodies.
- The earth is mostly an orb of solid. There are several layers of earth, and as you go towards the center, the temperature goes on increasing. The center of the earth is a hot ball of molten lava.
- The atmosphere of the earth where life is contained oxygen and other gases. The clouds and the wind are a part of the earth’s atmosphere. Gravity ends where the atmosphere
Earth is a miraculous place with so many wonders that even a life-time is not enough to explore all of it.