Last updated: July 18, 2019.
Examination – Short Essay 1.
An examination is an assessment of the understanding of the syllabus and concepts taught in the school.
An examination can be conducted via oral, written or digital medium. However, it can be a stress for students, and some students get afraid and anxious just by hearing the name of exams. This is because they have the pressure to perform well in the examination.
Instances Where Examination Is Referred
The examination is commonly used in schools, colleges, competitive or medical situations.
Examinations in school are a way to test the knowledge of different subjects acquired over some time.
Medical examinations refer to various test to understand the functioning of the different parameters of the body, e.g. blood tests, ultrasound.
Examinations can also be conducted as a screening process for jobs or for admitting a student in a particular course. These are referred to as entrance examinations.
Then there are qualifying examinations, whereby success in these examinations qualifies one to take up a profession or career.
In a typical examination, there is either a test or a series of tests, where the student or the candidate is tested over different parameters to understand his performance. They could be descriptive tests or multiple choice questions.
Some examinations are purely competitive such as the administrative examinations. Here the success in that exam depends largely on the performance of all the other candidates as well.
Still, there is what is called exam phobia.
How to deal with exam fear?
- Make a timetable for revision and follow it well. Start planning rather than leaving studies for the last minute.
- Make some brief notes and essays so that you can learn the concepts quickly, especially for subjects that you find difficult.
- Use revision cards, highlighting pens or charts for easy understanding and revision.
- Study on the time when you are fresh and active and the time which suits you.
- Do not study a lot or overnight on the exam day or one day before the exam. Do some recreational activities too.
- Try to solve question papers from past years, as you will get practice of appearing for a review and also it will give you exposure to tricky questions.
- If you feel bored, tired or hungry while studying, take a break for 10 minutes and then start again.
By Teamwork (2018)
Examination – Short Essay 2.
‘Examination’ is derived from the Latin word “examinare” which means ‘to test something’. The English word ‘examination’ refers to a formal study of one’s proficiency level in knowledge or skill.
The first commonly known instance of examinations taking place occurred in China. It was the first time standardized testing of aptitude level was introduced. This model was later adopted by England and Europe. It proved quite beneficial in terms of military recruitment and certification. Later, this practice was applied in all fields of knowledge. Its importance is felt quite adequately in the strength it granted to each field. By withstanding tests and exams, a field was deemed respectful and worthy of pursuit.
Examinations are quite crucial in assessing one’s abilities. They are a means with which a person’s knowledge of their respective field can be assessed. They serve as a rite of passage, allowing students to discover their talents and skill. Exams are a necessary evil of sorts. They ensure that a person is quite capable of performing their assigned tasks in their professions. For instance, the public would prefer the justice system were governed by an educated judge instead of an illiterate one.
By Ananda (2018)
Importance of Examination – Short Essay 2.
Examinations are important for a vast number of reasons, but one can understand the significant role they play in helping society maintain a certain level of education by noting the following reasons:
- Examinations teach the concept of striving for a goal or an objective. An A+ is more rewarding than a C. Doing better in school leads to better career options. This chain of events method makes them realize that their actions have certain implications on their lives.
- Exams evaluate a person’s comprehension of a subject. They determine whether the person can remember rules and implement them when needed or not. A task that is important in professions like law and order system.
- Exams teach important life skills. They equip the student with the skills of time management. How to perform a specific task in a given timeframe is a valuable skill to learn in professions.
- Expression of self is the most valuable aspect of exams. They allow you to find your inner voice. Most people discover their passion through the results they obtain in exams.
- The growth of a person, not only physically but mentally is very important for a healthy life. Exams enable this growth to become visible through a person’s performance in tests.
- The survival of the fittest Is the law of the world, and in exams a person experiences this first hand.
- Exams determine a person’s future performance in their field. You ace the exam, you can survive the real-world application of knowledge.
- Exams enable a person to explore the best qualities of life; patience, creativity, hard work, satisfaction with self, etc. These are just some of the qualities a person discovers during the process of examination.
- Exams help a person to be the best version of them. They push people to do better, to become stronger and to work harder. What they learn during this exam period is what they utilize when they lead their occupational lives.
- A society is only as good as its citizens. A good citizen is an educated citizen equipped with the knowledge to become better. He can serve his community fully when he is aware of his strengths and weaknesses.
- A society grows when a person sits for exams. Because it means that a generation is equipping itself with the necessary knowledge to lead the future.
- Exams cause a person to become confident in their abilities and push them to strive for excellence.
- Exams help in developing the concentration level of students. They teach critical thinking, reasoning, and developing coherent expression.
- Exams provoke out-of-the-box thinking. They challenge the students to test the limits of their knowledge by acquiring more knowledge. Intuitive knowledge is just as vital as knowledge derived from books.
- Examinations are unavoidable because they help to maintain the standards of a society. They strengthen ideas and pave the way for future generations. Without a testing system, society would plunge into chaos.
By Ananda (2019)