Mobile phone is an advanced version of the communication device called the telephone. The telephone was invented so that sound waves can be transmitted from one place to another via wired cables. So at each end of the cables were telephone devices through which two people could speak with each other across long distances. But with the development of telecommunication technology, sound waves can now be transmitted between two devices, without the use of cables, but through the air. There are telecommunication towers and antennae that are placed at various locations for the transmission of the electromagnetic waves across the air. Then from these towers the waves are transmitted to the mobile phone devices with the end-users. All this happens within a fraction of a second, so for the end-users the telecommunication via the mobile phones happens as-if in real time.
So practically, with your mobile phone you can speak with any person, in any part of the world, from wherever you are right now.
Science fiction to real life: Till a few decades back, devices like mobile phones were only written about and shown in Science Fiction stories. For a vast majority of the human population it was impossible to imagine the convenience of a simple telephone even. As against that, today’s reality is that every second person on the street today has a mobile phone in his or her pocket. For daily life this is a huge convenience. But it is almost close to a miracle in emergency situations like crimes, medical emergencies, accidents, etc. From the scene of emergency, you can instantly reach the police, hospitals, lawyers, government officials, etc. on your mobile phone.
Mobile phones serve the following common functions in our daily lives:
- Voice calls communication is the commonest use of the mobile phones.
- Mobile phones also have internet access and so internet browsing has become very easy.
- You can stay in touch with your global friends and family via the Online Social Media.
- Various applications [Apps] give you access to various facilities like driving directions [GPS], travel bookings, hotel bookings, taxi services, etc.
- Camera is another very commonly used function on the mobile phone.
Mobile phones have become a multi-purpose necessity in today’s world.