Friendships are very important mutual relationships that we develop with other people.
It is important to recognize whether the friendship that you are in is real or not. This is because friendships that are not real may cause more harm than benefits. There are however many benefits that we may gain with real friendships.
One should hence ensure that they look for good friends who will they will form meaningful and long lasting friendships.
- A friendship can be defined as the relationship that exists between two or more friends.
- Friendship can also be defined as the feelings that exist between friends about each other. It is the mutual feelings that are present between friends.
- Friendship is also the affinity or attachment that two or more people develop for each other.
True friends vs fake friends
It is very hard to differentiate between true friends and fake friends. True friends are those whose friendship with you is genuine whereas fake friends are those who pretend to be in a genuine friendship with you. There are however certain ways that you can differentiate between the two.
- A true friend will always make time for you. When you really need them, they will be there to support you. Fake friends will however never go out of their schedules to create time for you. They always make excuses.
- A true friend will accept your imperfections but a fake friend may dissolve the friendship or even judge you because of your imperfections.
- True friends will support your dreams no matter how ambiguous and unrealistic they may seem. A fake friend will however discourage you from pursuing your dreams by making you doubt whether the dreams are achievable.
- True friends are those who are with you during the good and bad times. Fake friends will however be there during your good times but when you experience challenging and bad times, they disappear.
- A true friend will apologize and forgive. They will apologize if they are on the wrong and they will forgive if you have wronged them. Fake friends will however ignore the wrongs they have made towards you and they will leave if you wrong them.
- True friends are genuinely happy for your success and achievement. They will be there to celebrate with you. Fake friends however fake their happiness when you achieve success and they show it by belittling your achievement.
Types of friendships
According to Aristotle, there are three types of friendships that exist. They include;
- Friendships of utility are the friendships that occur between two or more people who are useful to each other in some way. For example, you may establish a friendship with your classmate of they help you with your assignments.
- Friendship also happens between people who enjoy each other people’s company.
- Friendships of the good are the friendships that exist between people who have mutual respect and deep attachment between each other. This kind of friendships takes a lot of time to build.
Qualities’ of a good friend
- A good friend is trustworthy. They are able to keep your secrets and they will not gossip about you or hide anything from you.
- A good friend is They will always be truthful with you even if the truth is not what you want to hear.
- Good friends will accept you for who you are. They will accept your choices in life and they will not pressure you into doing the things that you do not want to do.
- Good friends are also They will respect your decisions and also respect the secrets that you share with them.
- Good friends are also You can depend on them to bail you out of stressful situations and you can depend on them to be there for you whenever you need them.
- A good friend is also a good listener. They will not only talk about what is going on in their life but they will also listen when you talk about yourself.
- Good friends are also They will stand with you no matter what you are going through.
- A good friend also shows empathy. They are empathetic whenever you or other people are undergoing challenging situations.
Friendship day is the day that is used to celebrate the friendships that people have. This day is mostly celebrated in the Asian countries. This day was first celebrated in the year 1958 in the country of Paraguay where it was termed as the ‘International Friendship day.’ The friendship day is celebrated on different dates in different parts of the world. After the first celebration of the day in 30th July 1958, the UN assembles on 27th April 2011 and declared that 30th July would be the official global friendship day. Some countries like India however celebrate this day on the First Sunday of the month of August.
Friendships are very important to our lives. Friends can contribute either positively or negatively to our wellbeing and hence it is crucial to differentiate between good friends and fake friends. It is important to maintain the friendships that we have acquired in our lives.