A dog is an animal that is related to the wolf family. The dog has a scientific name of Canis familiaris. This animal is the most populated carnivore that lives on land. There are two types of dogs which include the domestic dog and the wild dog. Dogs come in different types of breeds each having different body structures.
The dog was the first animal that was first domesticated. The most ancient fossils of dogs were found in the Europe continent. It has been found that dogs first appeared in Europe about 20000 to 32000 years ago. There are however other DNA records that show that dogs could have originated from the Middle East and Eastern Asia.
Wolves are believed to be the ancestors of dogs. They are believed to have come from the wolves that were first domesticated. After wolves started living with human beings, they were exposed too much to the human environment which is how they evolved to become dogs. However, the kind of wolf where dogs are believed to have evolved from has been termed extinct. DNA of these extinct wolves and the DNA of modern dogs are believed to have some similarities.
Breeds of dogs
- A German shepherd is dog breed that is very popular. This breed of dog is very strong and has a muscular body structure. They are very agile and serve well when it comes to security.
- The Labrador retriever is a dog breed that is very friendly and social. These dogs come in a black colour, yellow or chocolate. They are very intelligent and are not temperamental. Their outer coat is short and resistant on weather changes.
- The Golden retriever is also a popular dog breed. It is found in the category of large dogs.
- The bull dog is a dog breed that is very calm in nature. They usually have a push faced expression.
- A French bulldog also known as Frenchie is found in the category of small dog breeds. This dog is very playful and has ‘bat ears’. They are also very alert and are adaptable to many environments.
- The beagle is a dog that has short hair. It is happy in nature and is also inquisitive. They are very good with scents and come in handy in hunting.
- The poodle is a dog breed that is very friendly. It has a thick coat that makes it look fluffy.
- Rottweilers are dogs that were popularly known to be police dogs. They dogs are gentle and very good companions.
Uses of dogs
- Dogs are used to provide This is especially the case with large dog breeds that are used to keep away thieves and safeguard homes or shops.
- Dogs are also used for Dogs have very strong scents and they can be used to chase hares or antelopes.
- Dogs are also used for tracking. They can be used to track scents to find people or to find things.
- There are also some types of dogs that are used for herding. They are used to control livestock on the farms and also protect them from any external threats.
- Dogs are very friendly animals and they can serve as companions. This applies to pet dogs that are kept at home. Dogs are very friendly and playful animals and they serve this role well.
- Some dogs are also used for acting. This includes the well trained dogs that have become stars in various movies and shows.
- Some dogs also are used by security personnel to help in detecting drugs, explosives or other things. These are mainly used in secured government buildings and airports.
Uses of a farm dogs
- Farm dogs can be used for herding. They are used to control the animals grazing on a farm and to lead them back home once the day comes to an end.
- Farm dogs also protect the livestock in farm from external threats like wild animals.
- Farm dogs are also used to find lost livestock on farm. This is because they have strong scents that help in tracking these animals.
- Farm dogs are also used for security. They protect the houses of the farmers from enemies like thieves and predators.
- Dogs in farm also offer companionship. They are good companions to farmers who are alone in the field and farms.
How to take care of a pet dog
- The first way of caring for a pet dog is ensuring that you regularly clean them. This is to protect their coats and ensure that they do not face lice or flea infestation.
- You should also ensure that you build a good kennel for your dog. The kennel should be the right size to ensure that the dog is comfortable.
- Ensure that your dog’s kennel is regularly cleaned. This is to protect it from illnesses that result from dirt.
- Ensure that you regularly feed your pet dog with the right foods. Ensure that they get the right amounts of food and foods that have enough nutrients.
- You should also make sure that your pet dog exercises every now and then. You can achieve this by playing with them outside or taking them for walks.
- Make sure that you take your dog for regular veterinary visits. This is to ensure it gets regular checkups and vaccinations.
- Provide companionship to your dog. Dogs are very social and friendly animals and you should ensure that you regularly play and interact with your dog.
Dogs have been considered to be man’s best friend. A dog is a domestic animal that has numerous benefits that it provides to an owner. They are calm animals with mild temperaments and hence they get along easily with people.