Flowers – Essay 1.
Everyone has heard the expression of stopping to smell the roses. We wave it off as a simple suggestion meant to take a breather. But have we ever fully appreciated the importance of flowers in our lives?
Most people associate romantic intentions with flowers. Give a rose to your loved one and confess your feelings is the popular sentiment. Beyond symbols of love and happiness, and pretty decorations for our gardens, flowers have much more to offer us than we credit them for.
What are Flowers? Flowers are the essential reproductive structures in plants. They consist of petals which contain seeds or pollens which facilitate in the growth of more plants. This is achieved through the spread of pollens through wind or flies. Flowers are also known as blossoms. Scientists have discovered recently that flowers emerged on the planet over a 100 million years ago. To date, nearly 300,000 species of flowers have been recorded on earth with more yet to be discovered. The oldest surviving species of flowers on earth is the Amborella. Its analysis revealed that flowers are some of the handful of species that have undergone very little evolutionary changes since they first emerged on earth. These fascinating insights into the evolution of a biological system of the earth are just the tip of the iceberg that flower study has offered. This small fact is a mere example of the contribution of flowers on a large scale.
Importance of Flowers
To discuss the importance of flowers following observations can be taken into account:
- Flowers have proved very useful in herbal medicinal use. Eating certain flowers or using them in dishes and tea can cure many ailments. Flowers even perform an important function as stress relievers.
- Oils extracted from flowers have been used in beauty products to retain youthfulness.
- Incense is also made from flowers. Certain types of incenses are found to have positive effects on the emotional and physical well being of its users. It is also used to cleanse the environment of toxic particles in the air and dispel bad odor.
- The entertainment industry thrives on the use of flowers for decoration. It has turned into a billion-dollar industry, with people paying extravagantly for flowers on all occasions.
- In certain parts of the world, no wedding is deemed complete without flowers. It holds a spiritual significance in many religions like Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.
- Before the invention of chemical-based dyes, flowers served the function of dyes. Colors could be extracted from petals and used to dye clothes.
- Flowers attract insects like bees that utilize the pollen to produce honey. Without flowers, honey would not be available. Nor would there be any wax.
- Some animals are dependent on flowers. If flowers didn’t exist, a significant portion of animal species would cease to exist as well.
- Flowers have inspired centuries worth of literature. Language as we know it today has been largely dependent on drawing inspiration from flowers to express diverse aspects of human life. Poetry particularly owes much of its legacy to flowers.
- We can’t deny the same inspiration derived from flowers in the field of arts. The legends of the artistic community owe much of their successes in arts to flowers. If it weren’t for flowers, art would be a barren field indeed.
- Flowers are a complete expression of love. They are the universal token of expressing affection towards a loved one. Women’s day, Mother’s Day, Valentine’s day are all celebrated with the exchange of flowers.
- Infrastructural advancement has been vastly influenced by the interior structure of flowers. By studying cell formulation in plants through microscopic studies architects have developed improved methods of constructing buildings.
The next time you cross a flower growing along the path, do take a moment to appreciate the role it plays in preserving human life. They play an incremental role in not only preserving nature but in also educating us about nature. The education we complete in our preliminary years is largely derived from the study of flowers. Moreover, flowers are a symbol of beauty, love, health and happiness. They have taught us a lot about life and its wonders. They are a never-ending source of wisdom, joy and sustenance. Life without flowers is unimaginable. One cannot replace them with anything. It is rightly said that ‘where flowers bloom, so does hope.’
By Ananda (2019)
Flowers – Essay 2.
A flower is the reproductive part that is mostly found in flowering plants. Flowers are also known as bloom or blossom. There are many types of flowers around the world. Flowers are at times planted as cash crops by farmers and some are found in the wild.
Features of flowers
Flowers have petals (corolla). Petals are colorful and they help to attract insects that enable pollination especially in insect pollinated flowers.
Flowers also have sepals (calyx). These act like buds to protect the flowers especially when it is young.
Flowers also have anthers and filaments. These make up the male part of a flower. An anther is where the pollen grain is produced and the filament helps in supporting the anther.
Flowers have a stigma and style. These make up the female part of a flower. It accepts the pollen grains and they style helps in supporting the stigma.
Flowers also have the ovary. This is where ovules are produced. An ovary develops into a fruit.
Flowers also have ovules. These ovules develop into seeds of a fruit thereafter.
Flowers have a peduncle which serves as the stalk if the flower.
Another feature of a flower is the receptacle which is the part where all the parts of a flower are attached.
Common Types of flowers
- A rose is the most popular flower in the world. A rose flower is available in different sizes and shapes. Roses also come in different colours like white, red and purple. Roses are flowers that are known to symbolize love and at times happiness.
- Tulips are also very popular flowers. These flowers are shaped like bells. They are also available in different colours and shades.
- Daisies are very beautiful flowers. They have a very simple shape and they can be grown in gardens. This flower has green leaves and a yellow center that is surrounded by white petals.
- Carnations are ancient flowers as they are believed to have been in existence for more than 2000 years. They are found in different colours and shades.
- A sunflower is a flower that is mainly popular for the many benefits that its seeds have. This flower has a very large diameter than can be up to one meter. Their petals are yellow and the brown seeds can be found at the center.
- An orchid is a flower that is used to symbolize grace, beauty and luxury. It is available in different shades and colours.
- Daffodils are flowers that are shaped like a trumpet. They have white background petals and their center petals are yellow.
- A lilac is a flower that is also ancient as it existed in the early Greek mythology. The flower is purple and is used to represent love.
- An iris is a flower whose name means rainbow. This flower is available in a wide variety of colours.
- Jasmines are flowers that are mainly found in tropical and temperate areas. This flowers release very sweet fragrances.
Uses of flowers
- Flowers play an important role in the reproduction of plants. It is from flowers where fruits and seeds develop.
- Flowers are also used for decoration. Flowers have very beautiful appearances and they also produce good fragrances. They are used to decorate homes, events or religious places.
- Some flowers also have medicinal value. Some flowers have been used to make pain relievers, help in colds and flu, ulcers, etc.
- Flowers also help in the making of honey by bees. Bees collect nectar form flowers that they use to make honey.
- Flowers have also acted as a huge income earner for many farmers. Farmers plant flowers are planted as cash crops.
- Flowers also act as gifts. People send each other flowers as a symbol of appreciation or love.
- Flowers are also used to make perfumes. This is due to the fact that flowers produce very nice fragrances.
- Some flowers are also used in making herbal tea. This is applicable to dried flowers like jasmines, chrysanthemum and roses that are used to make tea due to their medicinal benefits and their fragrances.
A flower bouquet is a collection of many flowers that are arranged in a very creative and decorative way. A flower bouquet is used especially in occasions like weddings. They are usually arranged in a vase or in any other holder. Some can also be held by the hand. Bouquets may contain different types of flowers and different shapes.
A lotus flower is a flower that acts as the National flower of India. This flower was selected to be used as a national flower due to the connection it has with the Indian mythology. Although the flower mainly grows on dirty water, it does not become dirty as its stalk is long and keeps the flower above water. Due to this, it is used to symbolize purity.
Flowers are very important not only due to the role that they play in nature but they also have many benefits that they give people. It is important to take care of flowers to ensure that we maintain the beauty of our environment and that animals like bees have plenty of flowers where they can make honey from.
By Mary (2019)
Last updated: July 18, 2019.