Media can be referred to a means of communication that provide people with information and they also store information. There are various types of media that are used to deliver current news and offer entertainment to people. The media is an important tool as it mostly referred to as the voice of the people.
Types of Media
The first type of media is print media. This includes newspapers, magazines and journals. In this type of media, information is written down a bunch of paper and people get to read.
The second type of media is broadcast media. This includes radios and televisions. In this type of media, information is broadcasted over electronic devices.
Internet media is whereby people get information through the internet. This may include through social media sites or in websites.
Examples of Media
- Newspapers are an example of print media where information is contained in printed paper.
- Televisions are an example of broadcast media where people get information through videos and sound.
- A radio is an example of broadcast media where people get information through sound.
- Magazines are a type of printed media where people get information from printed paper.
- Websites are an example of internet media where people get to get information through the internet.
Purpose of the Media
The main purpose of the media is to provide the people with a platform where they can be informed, educated and given insights. It has the purpose of making sure that information is given to the public in an unbiased way.
Role of the Media
- The media has the role of strengthening the society. This is through airing the injustices that happen in the society and educating the society about their rights.
- The media has the role of shaping public opinion. It achieves this by providing a platform where the society can air their views.
- The media has a role to educate people. It should educate the people to make them more conversant about the changes that are happening in the society.
- The media also has the role of informing people. It should provide a platform where people get information that they seek.
- The media also has the role of being unbiased. It should provide information to the public with no bias and they should be non-partisan.
Power of the Media
The media is a very powerful tool in the modern society. The power of the media is dependent upon the roles of the media.
When it comes to politics, the media is a powerful tool that is used to uphold democracy. This is through ensuring that there is transparency in how the government is ruling.
It also is powerful when it comes to economies as it is through the media that people get to learn about the threats facing the economy and people hence react accordingly.
The media is also a powerful tool where truth can be put out there without biasness.
Importance of the Media
- The media helps to create transparency about what is going on around us. This is because media gives a platform where truths are told with no bias.
- The media is also important as it helps to promote democracy. This is by making sure that the public are informed about what is going on in their governments.
- The media is also important as it helps to inform and hence reducing ignorance. People get a lot of information through the media.
- The media is also important as it helps to warn people about bad weather and hence people can find ways of coping with the weather.
- The media also helps to expose injustices that are happening in the society.
- The media is important as it provides people with timely information about what is going on around them.
- The media is also important as it helps to educate people about various matters like health and the environment.
Disadvantages of the Media
- The media causes lack of privacy. This is because at times it tends to expose issues that are too personal and they also investigate people without their consent.
- Another disadvantage of the media is that it can carry out inaccurate reporting and this may cause information mishaps among people.
- It may also be difficult to limit the accessibility of children to certain media contents. Some the content that is contained in the media is not appropriate for children
The media is an important tool that serves as a spokesperson for the people and it is also used in informing people. There are many types of media around the world and people usually settle for the one that is most affordable or the one that is more convenient for them.