Newspaper – Essay 1
A newspaper is a written published document which contains information about the current events that are taking place.
Newspaper is published periodically which may be everyday, weekly or monthly. Most of the newspapers contain written information about politics, business reports, sports articles, advertisement pages, obituary pages and fun pages that contain games like crossword puzzles.
The circulation of news through the use of written media can be traced back to the BC era. In Ancient Rome, information or announcements would be crafted on metal or stones and they would be circulated to people. They later advanced to the use of scrolls where they would read announcements to the people.
The Chinese also distributed their news through the use of written media called tipao. This was a form of bulletin that was sent by the government to higher ranking members of the society. There were also posters that would be posted to inform the public about public matters. However, the first true newspaper was introduced in Europe by Johannes Gutenberg in 1440. He introduced a printing press in the country that would produce a lot of publications. Johann Carolus came up with the first weekly newspaper in the year 1604. After this, newspaper publication slowly spread to other parts of the world.
Types of newspapers
There are two main types of newspapers and these include;
- Broadsheets are the types of newspapers that came into existence in the olden days. They however still exist in the modern day. They have a large format and their pages are long and could range at about 56 centimeters. They contain more serious and sensational information.
- A tabloid newspaper is smaller in size as compared to the broadsheet newspaper. These types of newspapers contain shorter stories due to their smaller size. Its pages measure around 11 inches by 17 inches.
Advantages of newspapers
- Newspapers are informational. They are used to give people information about current event and happenings.
- Newspapers also create jobs for a lot of people. This may include people who work in the printing presses and people who distribute the papers.
- Newspapers also provide a platform where the government can relay announcements to the public.
- Newspapers also can be used for fun and entertainment. They contain sections and columns that contain entertaining news or games like crosswords.
- A newspaper also helps in educating. It contains pages that contain educational information to help people in their businesses or in other aspects of life.
Disadvantages of newspapers
- Newspapers contribute to deforestation. This is because they are made out of paper that is gotten from trees.
- Newspapers also do not serve the illiterate. They can only be used by the literate in the society that know how to read and write.
- Daily newspapers can also be expensive as a source of news. Most people cannot afford to buy newspapers on a daily basis.
- Newspapers also do not contain recent happenings. They contain news on what happened the previous day and you can only get current happenings on the next publication.
- Newspapers are not accessible in rural areas. This may be due to poor transport networks which makes it hard for newspapers to get there.
Newspapers are a form of media that is used to spread news. Newspapers have their limitations which makes them to lack popularity as a source of news and information. Due to the environment limitations and also due to technology, press companies have come up with digital newspapers. These are accessible over mobile devices.
Importance of Newspaper in Student Life – Essay 2
Newspaper plays an important role as an educational tool in the life of students. Newspaper is a print medium that is used for public distribution of News in Paper format. Student life is largely dominated by the need for new information and learning.
Newspapers contain all the latest daily happenings around the world, called as News. Newspapers also contain many other valuable information like educational content, entertainment content, sports information, etc.
Newspapers were most in use and circulation in the last century when the print media, as a part of the news and media industry, was at its peak. Now due to the growth of online media, the print media have reduced significantly in use and circulation. Consequently, the usage of newspapers has suffered too.
Importance of newspaper in student life
- Newspapers are a cost-effective and readily available source of latest information and happenings. Students find it an affordable and valuable source of learning.
- Students can learn about Politics and Political changes from Newspapers. Newspapers publish Political news, updates and educational articles from all over the world.
- Newspapers teach students about different Sports and Sporting events. Daily news about all kinds of Sports, Sportsman, Education about Sports, Sports Centres, etc. are published in Newspapers.
- Students look for Entertainment sources and updates in Newspapers. Newspapers contain information about Theatre, Movies, Parties, Fairs, etc.
- Newspapers contain Career information, sections, articles, supplements, etc. Students can learn about new Career options, available Career opportunities, successful Career paths, etc.
- Newspapers are a source of Language learning. Newspapers have properly edited articles with good language usage and students can learn good language usage by reading newspapers.
- Students can advertise about their needs in the newspapers. If students need accommodation, study resources, etc. local newspapers are a good medium to advertise.
- Business learning is another big advantage of newspapers. Students can learn about the business world from the business section of many newspapers.
- Economics focused newspapers also a good sources of learning on Economics and Finance. Students interested in investment, finance and economics can learn from them.
- Students can participate in Competitions through their local and national newspapers. Many publishing houses organize competitions to identify new talent.
- Newspapers are a great source of learning about Foreign Countries. Many newspapers publish international news and articles from foreign correspondents.
- Students can find new travel destinations from newspapers. The travel supplements of newspapers provide detailed travel guides and travel accommodation advice.
- Newspapers are also a great source of Inspiration and Motivation. Many newspapers publish life-stories and quotes from Inspirational leaders and personalities.
- Cooking and Culinary advice from newspapers is another interesting aspect for students. Student can learn new recipes and find healthy cooking tips in newspapers.
- Newspapers contain information on health and well-being. Students can read about and inculcate good habits for a healthy lifestyle.
- Students interested in a career in the Media industry find newspapers a particularly interesting read. They can even evaluate some career options in Newspapers.
- Students can learn about Yoga and other exercises through newspapers. Many health sections have expert advice from medical and health experts.
- Students learn to be objective by reading newspapers. Being informed about the world encourages students to develop a healthy and objective state of mind.
- Newspapers are also a good resource for developing debating skills. Many newspapers carry good verbal debates from good authors and editors.
- Students can learn history from newspapers too. Studying news articles over time, helps students develop a personal understanding of history and changing times.
Newspapers are particularly valuable for students because they are in a learning phase of their life. Newspapers are a great source of new information, study, updates and literature from various fields of life. In the modern world, students need to adapt themselves to accessing and following the online versions of leading newspapers.
Last updated on January 19, 2019.