Importance of Games and Sports – Essay 1.
Play is one of the earliest developmental activities exhibited by children. Sports and games have come to be a part of our life at various stages. Beginning with the sports day at school to the IPL matches, the Olympics and FIFA World Cup, there is a little something for all of us when it comes to sports.
A sport can be defined as a physical activity involving a set of rules and often played for recreation, competition or self-enjoyment. Games on the other hand are activities that involve several players who follow certain rules to attain a set goal.
Games and Sports bring a package of benefits that make them very significant in our life at any given age.
- Develop physical strength: Engaging in any kind of physical sport like running or team sports like cricket help in building the physical strength of the player
- Maintain fitness and health: By building their physical strength, it enables maintenance of physical health and fitness
- Improve functioning of bodily systems: Physical fitness enhances the functioning of bodily organs
- Body flexibility: Sports and games make the body more flexible by giving sufficient exercise to the muscles
- Balance physical and mental growth: They can contribute to the balanced growth especially in growing children
- Improve strategic thinking: Team sports and other board games like chess improves strategic thinking ability of the individual
- Judgement and planning: It also improves the ability to make proper decisions, plan ahead and execute the plan
- Improve concentration and focus: Individuals who engage in sports are able to focus and concentrate better for longer periods of time
- Improve thought processes: By improving strategic thinking, decision making and planning, games and sports improve thought process in the player
- Speed in thinking: Sports and game increase speed in thinking by developing strategic thinking, decision making and planning skills
- Leadership qualities: They help in developing leadership skills that can be useful in other areas of life
- Build team spirit: Team sports build team spirit and feelings of belongingness in players
- Develop competitiveness: Engaging in games and sports builds a sense of competitiveness that can be healthy and effective in improving the performance of individuals in games as well as in other aspects of life
- Follow rules and regulations: Children who engage in sports and games are able to learn to follow rules and regulations
- Outlet for negative emotions: Sports and games that involve physical exertion are an excellent outlet for negative emotions like anger
- Channelize energy in productive ways: Like the case of negative emotions, sports are a means to channelize energy into productive means
- Perform better in academics: Engaging in games and sports, contrary to popular belief, enhances physical and mental abilities and improves performance in academics
- Be more productive at work: Engaging in physical activity makes one mentally more competent and productive at work
- Recreation and relaxation: They are a means to relaxation as a hobby that can have a variety of other benefits for the individual
- Improve quality of life: Engaging in sports and games can improve the overall quality of life by improving other areas of life
Physical activity helps in both us to stay physically and psychologically healthy. The benefits from playing sports and games can differ across the variety of them. Some of them may help sharpen our mental skills while other might help us develop our physical fitness. Not everyone is excellent in sports or at a game but being a part of one gives a transformative experience that can teach us valuable lessons.
Importance of Sports and Games – Essay 2.
Sports and games are an important part of life in both childhood and adulthood.
Sports and games are avenues for amusement and meaningful physical or mental activity, also seen as a part of the exercise regime. They are also means of assimilating oneself in a local or other social pattern by being a part of a team or a group that regularly takes part in the these activities.
In childhood it is important to have a vast exposure to sports and games to be able to identify the ones, if any that one can develop as an adult. Sports and games can be team sports or individual games. Most of the sports are played against at least one opponent. Some games are a display of skills to find the best of all players. While some games are played against time, others are played as per the objectives. The rules are usually set by some authority or a body of experts in the sport.
Importance of sports and games
- The single biggest advantage of sports and games is the physical fitness that is a result of playing.
- Sports and games also help develop focus.
- To go ahead in a sport a person needs to have and develop determination to be able to face all obstacles and competitors.
- Most games and sports require a high level of concentration. Playing sports can develop this faculty. It helps in many other spheres in life.
- Playing games or sports brings a good balance to life for all the work.
- People who play some games or sports enjoy a better overall health.
- People playing at least one sport have a lean strong body.
- If at least one sport is played, the person finds himself or herself less prone to illnesses.
- Especially in children playing sports and games is a good way to make friends and to have social interactions with kids of similar age.
- Sports and games get one recognition and especially so if one is excelling in a particular sport.
- Playing a sport or games imparts an essential important lesson, that of coping up with failure, which is an important life skill.
- Team spirit or working effectively as a team is also an essential lesson that is learnt as a result of playing games and sports, especially team sports.
- Sports and games help build a healthy attitude towards success.
- Playing sports and games gives one a goal oriented life which is usually much more meaningful.
- Playing games and sports develops a healthy competition spirit, to strive to do better in everything.
- People who play games and sports often find themselves developing a meaningful career of it.
- People playing games or sports often become role model /inspiration to others.
- If a person is good at sports, he or she can easily earn a side income by coaching younger players.
- When there are a few success stories, the demand for such sports and games goes up in the region.
- Games and sports often require one to develop analytical skills which are useful in all areas of life.
Sports and games are activities which add a lot of value to a person’s life. The value addition is in terms of not only physical well-being but also an improvement in the social assimilation and of emotional well-being as well. It is therefore recommended that every person must develop some sport or game. Mental health is also often seen to be improving as one takes up one such activity.
By Janhavi (2019)
Importance of Games and Sports – Essay 3.
Sports and games are an important part of our life. Since childhood to old adulthood, it is present in various forms. Apart from being a recreation, following sports is also an important aspect. From following football teams and league cricket, sports are an important source of entertainment for most of us. The game frenzy aside, sports helps us in several ways and is essential to us. The benefits can be categorised into physical, psychological and social domains.
Playing sports, especially ones involving physical exertion helps in maintaining health and fitness. It helps burn calories and stay fit. It is also a huge stress buster that helps escape the stress of everyday life. It is a healthy way to channelize the negative energies that we accumulate in the course of our everyday activities. It helps in bodily growth especially in childhood. It keeps the circulation system working effectively that ensure improved functioning of the organs and various systems of the body.
At the psychological level, it helps in improving various cognitive abilities from strategic thinking to team management. These are especially true of team games and sports. It helps to make strategic moves and decisions. In this process, the planning and judgement abilities of the individual are sharpened. Making decisions under pressure with very less time helps the person to make strategic and quick decisions sharpening their thought process. The added benefit would be improved performance in the other areas of life such as education and workplace.
At the social level, games and sports help in developing a team spirit. Forming of teams and competing with a sportive spirit helps individuals compete in health ways. Healthy competition is required for social development and personality building. It is also an effective way to socialise individuals to be respectful of rules and regulations. It makes for a perfect recreational activity. On the whole sports and games improve the quality of living and incorporating it into our routine can help in health living.
Last updated: June 21, 2019.