A teacher is an important role model in our life. We all have teachers who have inspired us and played a crucial role in who we are today. Education is an integral part of our life and teachers are the most important persons in those systems.
One of the first things that we do in life as children is to join school. Schooling is the beginning of the long process of education that prepares us for the work life that comes after. Throughout this rather exhaustive journey, we have a teacher who guides us along the way.
A teacher is an educator who helps us in acquiring knowledge, skills and values. The duty of the teacher does not end with merely educating us. They come a long way in shaping us as individuals.
- Learn concepts: Teachers teach us concepts and subjects that set on the course of formal education
- Learn discipline: They impart the values of discipline like being punctual, respect and so on in us at a very young age
- Learn language: For many of us, learning of other languages like English, other than our mother tongues are often initiated by our teachers
- Guidance: They are a source of guidance for us and help us make proper decisions in life
- Support: They support us in our decisions by giving us ideas and means to achieve our goals. They also help us in arriving at solutions for our problems
- Inspiration: Teachers are also sources of inspiration and they act as role models for many of us at the very young age
- Motivation: They are strong sources of motivation for our endeavours and encourage us to give our best
- Shape attitudes: Teachers play a very important role in shaping the attitudes of the child and help them to develop positive and socially appropriate one
- Focus on education: They help us to stay focused on our academic education and shape the future academic targets
- Good habits: We learn good habits like reading, being punctual and so on through our teachers
- Good behaviour: Teachers help develop good behaviour like thanking people for helping us, or helping other people or apologising for our mistakes from our teachers
- Develop morals and values: Teachers inculcate morals, values and ethics in us which come a long way in life
- Develop life skills: They play a very instrumental role in helping us develop life skills like problem solving and critical thinking that come a long way in life
- Develop Leadership qualities: Children today are the leaders of tomorrow and teachers play a very important role in shaping those leadership skills in children
- Mentors: Teachers can be strong mentors who shape us and can have lasting impact on our lives
- Engagement in extracurricular activities and sports: Teachers also guide us in physical activity and sports
- Higher learning: Teachers guide us in the process of higher learning, beyond school and under graduation
- Mould growth of the child: A teacher plays a very important role in shaping the growth of children as they have a very strong impact during the growing years
- Prolonged impact on individuals: A teacher tends to have a lasting impact on children through one way or the other- their academic orientation, their charisma, their leadership skill and so on
- Source of care and affection: Teachers are also like another parent for the students and are a source of care and affection in school
The many teachers that we have had are like ladders who have helped us ascend to the next stages in life. We need to be forever thankful to their sacrifice in making us into who we are today. They are indeed the torchbearers of our society.